 Storage / 1011
Re: Wanted - more efficient storage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 5 Sep 2001 15:41:08 GMT

Steve Demlow wrote:

Frank Filz <ffilz@mindspring.com> wrote:

One thing which would be nice also is shelving which is efficient. I
bought an 18"x48"x72" Metro cart with four shelves and quickly
discovered that it resulted in less efficient storage

I have some lovely industrial shelving (12"x36"x72") that I got cheap from
a friend.  I think the most important aspect is that it has plenty of
adjustable shelves.  It efficiently holds everything from small Rubbermaid
food containers stored on end, to 6 qt. Rubbermaid "shoeboxes", and up
through blue 3033 tubs and the larger Rubbermaid boxes, each with their
own shelf.  It makes use of the space from floor to ceiling.

So, I'd suggest buying a sheet of plywood, or some of the pre-fab shelving
you can get at your local home store, and creating more shelves for your
unit.  My shelving has been instrumental in cleaning up at least some of
my piles and making things much more accessible.

Some of the problems I've seen with the Metro cart:

- I really needed a 72" wide unit. I don't think a pair of 36" wide
units would work well. It also would be better if it was a bit deeper.

- The shelf spacing is not fine enough. Spacing is 1" and the shelf
itself is 1" thick.

I'm not sure that more shelves would really help, but it's easy enough
to get them and they aren't horrendously expensive.

What would be best would be a shelving system with an associated set of
storage boxes such that everything matches. I suspect the only way to
really accomplish this is to pick a storage box, and build my own
shelving to match it.

Of course if I moved into a larger place so that 10% wasted space didn't
wipe out my ability to move around the apartment, then almost any
solution works.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com