 Storage / *1630 (-10)
Re: Dave & Stacy's LEGO Lair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 2008 01:14:26 GMT

So incredibly jealous! The last time I moved my collection the collective response of my movers (mates hired for pizza) was “you had all that... in there?!”

Congrats on your great space. I expect a follow up shot full of MOCs ; )

God Bless,

Nathan

Re: Dave & Stacy's LEGO Lair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 23:41:01 GMT

In lugnet.storage, Dave Sterling wrote:
   Hi all! We’ve been hard at work not only build MOC’s, but also renovating our “LEGO Lair” as we have managed to outgrow it in the past couple years. The new space sports modular tables based on the PNLTC and BAYLUG designs. In addition, we are constantly adding and experimenting with new storage options. You can read more about it at our MOCPages Page. The pictures are current as of July 8th, 2008. The renovation is slated for completion in late-August 2008. We’ll post more when everything is complete.

Wow, that’s a great space. You’ve got at least twice the building room as we do!

Of course, now we’re going to expect even more from you... ;-)

JohnG, GMLTC

Subject:
Dave & Stacy's LEGO Lair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 19:59:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi all! We’ve been hard at work not only build MOC’s, but also renovating our “LEGO Lair” as we have managed to outgrow it in the past couple years. The new space sports modular tables based on the PNLTC and BAYLUG designs. In addition, we are constantly adding and experimenting with new storage options. You can read more about it at our MOCPages Page. The pictures are current as of July 8th, 2008. The renovation is slated for completion in late-August 2008. We’ll post more when everything is complete.

Rock on!

-Dave

ToT-LUG

Subject:
Lego's own storage...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 06:11:25 GMT

http://gizmodo.com/5018990/lego-secret-vault-contains-all-sets-in-history&green

Drool... Jrn

Re: How to transport a UCS Millennium Falcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:22:37 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Laswell wrote:
   It’s a sealed-bottom plastic trash can that’s sorta square, but has rounded sides, and the lid clips into the rim.

Thanks for the suggestion. I was actually considering using a recycling bin lying on its side, only that wasn’t deep enough. A square trash can would be a great idea, though! Hopefully I could find one for not too expensive...

Best regards,
Matthew Sklar

Re: How to transport a UCS Millennium Falcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.storage
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:58:09 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Matthew Sklar wrote:
   QueLUG, my local LUG (Quebec, Canada) is doing a small display at the Montreal ToyCon this coming May, and I’d love to have my Millennium Falcon as part of the display. I can’t seem to find a box big and sturdy enough to hold it; does anyone have any good ideas on how to transport this beast?

I ended up buying a Mighty Tuff 45-gallon 2-wheeled trash can (made by United Solutions) from Lowe’s (I’ve since seen the same design in a different color at Meijer). It’s a sealed-bottom plastic trash can that’s sorta square, but has rounded sides, and the lid clips into the rim. I lay the trash can flat in the back seat of my car, with the handle-side down, and then I can slide the Falcon in, clip the lid in place, and shut the door.

The thing is, it’s still not a perfect fit. First problem is that the Falcon doesn’t sit high enough. I (sorta) solved this by putting it up on blocks (cue Redneck Jedi jokes). I built seven simple blocks of bricks, 4x6 studs and three bricks high. Lifting up the Falcon, I quickly attach one block to the bottom of each landing pad (keep in mind that once you start this process, you sorta need to finish it before you can set the thing down again, or it won’t be supported by any landing gear that you missed!). Now, doing this raises the ship’s midline closer to the widest part of the trash can (remember those rounded sides?), but it’s still not enough to make it fit. You’ll need to remove the cockpit, the octagonal pods on the sides, the radar dish assembly, the skinny dorsal hull section behind the cockpit tunnel, and the matching hull section from the port side. Pack those sections in a smallish box and stow it separately (i.e. not in the trash can). I’d really suggest finding a box that’s just big enough to fit your instruction manual laying flat, with all the removed sections sitting on top, because you’ll probably need to refer to it on-site. Now, this all assumes you’re able to find the same basic style of trash can that I got (worse case scenario, you might have to make a border trip before the show just to buy a trash can, if you can’t find one in Canadia-land). And finally, there’s enough flex in the sides of the closed trash can that vigorous driving will cause it to slide side-to-side (in-and-out from the Falcon’s perspective), and that will cause stuff to pop loose (hence the suggestion of bringing the manual). In particular, the ventral main hull sections like to demonstrate that gravity does, indeed, work, but the nice thing is that all the loose pieces will be neatly contained within the trash can.

Subject:
How to transport a UCS Millennium Falcon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 2008 21:05:59 GMT

Hello!

I recently finished building my my UCS Falcon; it’s an amazing model!

QueLUG, my local LUG (Quebec, Canada) is doing a small display at the Montreal ToyCon this coming May, and I’d love to have my Millennium Falcon as part of the display. I can’t seem to find a box big and sturdy enough to hold it; does anyone have any good ideas on how to transport this beast?

Best regards,
Matthew Sklar
QueLUG Member
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sklar

Re: My LEGO room visual tour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 17:16:53 GMT

In lugnet.general, William Toenjes wrote:
Lowes for $19.99 with free in store pickup¬
<http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=186219-133-00-10211-01&lpage=none
{(this is $10.00 cheaper than anyone else and no shipping charges)}¬ I'm sure
it would be useful for other LEGO folks transporting buildings/giant
spaceships from show to show.¬ Now to move/unpack quickly enough that I can
convince my LEGO-tolerant wife to let me use part of my declared vacation
time to go to Brickworld 2008 June 19-22 with the rest of the G.M.L.T.C.¬ --¬
Bill¬ (TooMuchDew)¬ G.M.L.T.C.¬

Good luck on the home move, I moved my LEGO room two years ago and it was much
more work than I expected, even with everything already sorted and packaged up.

If you haven't already bought the wrap from Lowes you should check out ULINE,
they have great prices on anything related to packing or shipping

http://www.uline.com/Group_60.asp

jt

Re: My LEGO room visual tour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 16:28:27 GMT

In lugnet.general, William Toenjes wrote:
   Click on “gallery” in the bottom left corner, scroll down and click on the picture in Row 6, Column 2 for a 180 degree panorama of my LEGO room. It usually has another 8’ table and 6’ table situated like an uppercase “P” (or lowercase “d” depending on your view) with more storage bins under the tables, but I put those in storage to keep the basement looking less cluttered.
I dunno if this helped sell the house or not but I like to think it did :) Disclaimer: LEGO not included with house

Can I come over to your house and play?

Subject:
My LEGO room visual tour
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.storage
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2008 08:54:35 GMT

Our home for sale is now in “pending” status with a closing date of May 22 so I think it is safe to post this without freaking out my realtor over skewed stats on the page views.
http://www.visualtour.com/applets/flashviewer2/viewer.asp?t=1318645&sk=22
Click on “gallery” in the bottom left corner, scroll down and click on the picture in Row 6, Column 2 for a 180 degree panorama of my LEGO room. It usually has another 8’ table and 6’ table situated like an uppercase “P” (or lowercase “d” depending on your view) with more storage bins under the tables, but I put those in storage to keep the basement looking less cluttered.
I dunno if this helped sell the house or not but I like to think it did :) Disclaimer: LEGO not included with house

Our current house is 1.5 story, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bath, 1860 sq ft finished. Our new house is 2 story w/finished walkout basement, 5 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3200 sq ft with my future LEGO workshop already claimed. (Mrs Dew gets her own sewing room)

For moving I was looking for some Duck Stretch Wrap for keeping my 36 18-drawer & 60-drawer hardware units full of sorted LEGO from spilling all over the moving truck. After some searching I found 20” wide x 1000’ rolls at Lowes for $19.99 with free in store pickup
--
Bill
(TooMuchDew)

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact