 Star Wars / 9336
Re: Interesting Copyright Bits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 18:50:49 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  ...Shades of "Murphy's Rules" from the old _Space Gamer_...

  Looking at the new catalogue (who's not?), it appears that
  Lucasfilm, Ltd., has trademarked the word "Imperial."  This
  brings to mind the boardgame variant of "Indiana Jones" from
  days gone by, where they attempted to trademark the term
  "Nazi."

that'll be news to some people here in Canada.  Imperial Oil I'm sure will be
interested to know that Lucas is trying to squeeze them out of a name!

(although, from my readings, I don't think they stand a chance of holding it.
It is a widely used name....not something you can normally trademark. If
someone was to make a movie that bore more than superficial resemblence to it,
then there might be a problem, but otherwise, no luck.)

James