 Star Wars / 9217
Re: Alternate Naboo fighter
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 06:27:22 GMT

Tales of the Gold Monkey was a live-action show that was a 80's TV attempt at
ripping off Indiana Jones.  There was an American pilot on some small island • in
the South Pacific.  There were Nazis (I think) an English femme fatale spy
type.  The title came from a "local legend" about a solid gold statue of a
monkey that was the focus of the first episode.  However, his plane wasn't
gold.  Check out this site for more info.

www.goldmonkey.com

[snipped]

I loved TGM! I'd never seen a Grumman Goose before that show and fell in love
with the plane instantly. (Needless to say I have the Island Hopper since it's
the closest Lego will come. Someday I'm gonna modify it to make it
look 'correct' in my mind!)

The bad guys were actually Japanese soldiers, being as this was set in the
South Pacific just before WWII (1938).

*kinda off topic rambling ahead*

Good ol' Jake Cutter and Cutter's Goose.

Some real-life tidbits of info that I can recall which were kind of cool (to
me) -
While on vacation in 1991,  we were in Kissimee, FL (more or less Orlando) and
stopped at what was then a small air mueseum that was trying to start up and
restore WWII aircraft. In the office there was a photo of Cutter's Goose
flying over the city. It turns out the plane's owner at the time flew it
to/from the Bahama's on a regular basis. Sadly, it wasn't at the airport when
we were there.

I also found that the plane, more recently, was sold and as of what I found
about a year ago allegedly resides in my home town of Seattle, Washington and
is used as a charter plane that I believe is based out of Lake Union north of
downtown. Sadly, if I remember correctly the web page said that the Goose was
repainted to be the colors of the charter service.

The irony in it all is that I was living in Seattle in '91 and was in Florida
where it was kept and it wasn't there. In '95 I moved to Ohio and now the
plane is in Seattle and no longer 'the plane' without the paint scheme so
similar to the Island Hopper..hmm... <G>

curse my luck!

*end off topic ramblings!*

And to get back to your first post, that is a really nifty little varient.

Joel

Thanks!  I, in fact, live in the greater Seattleland area and after finding
that site was definitely interested in the charter idea.

Getting back on topic before someone removes this to off-topic, I realized
that I was aming at the "cargo plane" feel when I put the two bow sections
together.  Deep hull with two engines strapped on it for heavy hauling.  It's
amazing what our minds see when really the only major changes were moving the
engines closer to the middle and deepening the hull.

Amazingly enough, I still haven't take it apart.  Me, who's usually torn
between the create and destroy modes.

=Sean