 Star Wars / 9086
Re: Padme Naberrie
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:15:36 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Dave Schuler writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Eric Joslin writes:

Lucas is a bit notorious for saying things like "well, of *course* those red
fields that broke up the lightsaber duel were dangerous to people.  I thought
that was obvious!  I guess I'll have to add something to the Special Edition
to make it more clear".

Do we have any indication of what those were actually supposed to be?

Heh heh.  No.

Funny true story:  Harrison Ford sat down in the cockpit of the Millenuim
Falcon for the first time and said "Hey!  This is great!  Now, uh, how do I fly
this?"  and all Lucas basically said "uh, you push the buttons and flip the
levers and stuff."  Lucas doesn't spend a whole lot of time thinking about what
these things actually do.  I assumed they were some kind of force field, but
why they would create those little divisions that you could apparently stand in
unharmed is beyond me.  I think someone once described it as a security measure
to keep people from getting to the big pit generator thing easily, but since we
really have no idea what that did either, I just don't know, and to be honest I
can't remember if that was speculation or an official explaination or what.
But I do know that according to Lucas, touching them would be detrimental to
your health.

mean, they looked cool, but what function did they serve in the running of the
Naboo Palace?

I dunno.  Why was an otherwise solidly-built palace sitting on top of what
could best be described as a Jedi Lightsaber Duel Playground?  What was any of
that doing about anything?  Seemed a bit much just to power the palace to me,
and if it was "harnessing geothermal energy" or something, why build a palace
on top of a power substation?

Eh.

eric