 Star Wars / 8859
Re: Lambda Class Shuttle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:40:29 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Matt Sekerak writes:
I think the Enfield model sucks...yes, yes, it has the prominent features of
the Imperial Shuttle, but it looks over-the-hill and bloated.  A Nerf Shuttle!

<snip>

I'm in complete agreement with you here.  The model is way too wide!  It looks
chubby or something.  The landing gear look pretty cool, and while the wings
look cool if they did use glue to get the hinges to stay at that angle then
that's just pathetic.

<snip>

them.  However, my Imperial Shuttle is quite large and would not even come
close to fitting into a $29.99 price tier.  So, you got me, I guess.  When
Lego's version comes out, I almost hope they use a big POOP for the front...as
it is a very difficult shape to render with brick, and I would very much like
to see the truest shape possible.  Otherwise, I'll just buy it for parts

I'd like to see your rendition of the Shuttle, once you get some pics.  There
aren't very many that have been done for some reason.  The only ones I know of
are mine, Thaddeus', and the really big but really awesome over at the Lego
Purists (well, and this Enfield one...)

When I designed my shuttle I tried to design it the way I thought Lego would
design it (as a minifig set anyway.)  I aimed more for the $50 price point
however...  It could be modified to work as a $29.95 set though.  What drives
up the "price" is the wings and the tail fin were made using plates (for
stability.)  The fin would definately have to be changed to bricks, and the
wings would probably be large single plates, or be only two plates thick.

I agree with you on the cockpit however... that was the most difficult part of
the design.  I used slopes and click-hinges to get the angles, and it looks
kind of like the front of a truck or something, but it works.  You can see
pics of it on my website (http://hobartrus.freeservers.com/lego/SW/)

Ignore the banners and the pleas to visit my sponsers... <G>  I gave up trying
to make money from the site long ago... I just haven't updated the site.  I've
also updated the model several times, but I haven't put up updated pics since
May.  I've changed it so that it has a larger "cargo bay," a more accurate
retractable ramp, a longer wingspan, a cockpit that a minifig can actually fit
inside, somewhat flimsy landing gear (still working on that) and made it more
stable in general (after I increased the cargo bay size it fell apart
everytime it was picked up.  That doesn't happen anymore... :)  I plan on
updating the website soon with new pictures and some new models, but for now
it will give you an idea of the general design of my shuttle.

-Bryan
http://hobartrus.freeservers.com/lego/SW/