 Star Wars / 7493
Re: Lego Death Star
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 26 May 2000 20:26:44 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, David Eaton writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Chris Norman writes:
I suggest we give bonus point to the person that figures out how many 2x4
bricks, laid, end to end, it would take to stretch 5 miles.

Well, let's see... that'd be about 491,490 studs, which is about 122,873 2x4
bricks laid end to end (+/- a few, cuz at that level, even lego's tolerances
will be off by a bit)

But by my calculations, a minifig scale death star would only be a bit under
2.3 miles (only 56,438 2x4's laid end to end)

Can I trade in my bonus points for the giant stuffed Death Star?

DaveE

Well first,

Which Death Star?
The first which is 160km in diameter or the second which is roughly 500km in
diameter.  (I know half of the 'offical' sources state the 1st as being 120km
and the second as 160km but those were arbitrary numbers while the 'correct'
numbers follow the rules of cannon adjusting size from star destroyers in the
movies. The same foolishness started the 8km super-star destroyer rumor which
half the books use.  An SSD is 17.6km long. Anyways...)

Second,

What is mini-fig scale?
Personally I consider mini-fig scale to be 3 studs = 1 meter.

So the 1st death star would be 480,000 studs in diameter (120,000 2x4 bricks
end to end)  and the 2nd death star would be 4,500,000 studs in diameter
(1,125,000 2x4 bricks end to end)

So if 56,438 2x4 bricks is 2.3miles then the death star would be closer to 5
miles.

-Lord Insanity