 Star Wars / 7046
7045  |  7047
Subject:
7191 UCS X-Wing Received Today: First Impressions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 21:44:52 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I had a charge of $159 show up from Lego Shop-at-Home late last week, raising
my hopes for an near-future appearance of the 7191 Ultimate Collector Series X-
Wing. I was not disappointed when I arrived home today: one box was waiting on
the porch, 7191 inside.

The box:

The box is not quite what I expected. The physical design is like King Leo's
Castle and the Mos Espa Podrace, with a large flap that folds around the
bottom and lifts up towards the top. The front photo is completely grayscale!
Only the Lego logo and the Star Wars logo are in color. It gives the kit a
very dramatic appearance and will contrast nicely on the shelf with the other
bright SW boxes. The back is a very large color photo of the assembled ship
with various technical data all around. There are no alternate models pictured
on the box. There are 1304 pieces.

The contents:

The pieces are in 21 bags in one large area with no partitions. They are not
divided up into assembly steps like the Technic droids, but rather are grouped
roughly on size like most kits. The instruction book is 128 pages long,
devoted almost entirely to the basic model. The last few pages contain a
single photo of an alternate model, which I wasn't too excited about at first
glance, and photos of all the SW kits up to this point, excluding the AAT,
MTT, and Falcon.

There is a sticker sheet with 31 stickers, all grayscale. There is also a very
large sticker for the info attached to the stand at the bottom. Many of the
stickers are meant to be placed where they will cover multiple plates (yuk!).
The four stickers visible on the front of each wing near the body and the
engines each touch the end of eight different plates!!! I intend to attach no
stickers in the initial building. I believe the model will work well without
most of them. By the way, attaching the stand sticker means attaching _twelve_
1x8 black tiles together. My vote would be to just stick it on an index card
and prop it up at the bottom of the stand.

The ship itself looks terrific. I'll probably build it later this week when
I'll have a few hours to set aside and savor it, but I'm happy to try and
answer any questions. I don't have a digital camera, so I can't provide box
photos, but I could scan the instructions cover or the alternate model photo
tomorrow at work if anyone is anxious to see them. (I won't scan the actual
instruction steps, of course.) The cover of the instructions is the same photo
as the box cover, so it gives a good idea of what to look for.

There are two links printed on the box, one to starwars.com and the other to:

http://www.lego.com/ultimate_collector

When I try to follow that one, I get a broken link. Perhaps it is not ready
yet?

Regards,
Andrew