 Star Wars / 6253
Re: CHEWIE & C-3PO REVEALED!!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:54:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jason Brown writes:

Vader's TIE is the one in that set.  What Totally Games decided to call
the TIE Advanced is really (well, everywhere else, card games, RPGs and
the like) called the TIE Avenger.  I think on the official SW site it
says that the T/I IS a decendent of Vader's (I still don't see HOW, they
where completely different...  the T/A is a more obvious decendent).
Oh, and Vader's is the "Advanced X1 Prototype," commonly refered to as
the T/A X1 (or something like that).

I caught that Avenger thing when I was roaming the web.  I only played the
original Tie Fighter, before the graphics upgrade.  Throughout that game it's
only known as "Tie Advanced".  It seems the newer version of the game went
with "Tie Avenger".  Boy, do I ever want to play the upgraded version now,
talk about pretty!  Wanna see those missions again where there are Star
Destroyers throwing down with each other during Admiral Zarin's coup
attempt  :]

Something else I caught seems to indicate that the Tie Advanced and
Interceptor were competitors for the same design request.  Seems it worked
similar to how the US military does it.  Put out a call for submissions with
the required specifications.  Then different "companies" produce the prototype
they think will do the job.  The Empire then picks the design they want (maybe
combining features from the two).  A site I found indicates that the Advanced
was the desirable ship by a long shot, but that it was too costly.  So the
Empire went with the Interceptor.  The Advanced was only fielded in very
limited numbers.  One could guess then that the Interceptor was known as "Tie
Advanced X2 Prototype"..., a la the YF-22 and YF-23 (as but one example) which
competed for the US Air Force contract.

This is all according to legend of course, as details from that period in
history are sketchy at best  :]

KDJ

   Kyle D. Jackson
    LUGNETer #203