 Star Wars / 522
521  |  523
Subject:
Episode I set pictures?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 11:26:28 GMT

Ok, this covers a lot of ground, so get ready....

Has anyone seen any pictures of Episode I sets?  Minifigs?  Anything?  Almost
every day, I read two or three Star Wars "Rumour" sites.  These sites are
surprisingly resourceful at getting pictures of prototype toys from
Kenner/Hasbro, figurines from Applause... heck, even photos from Lucasfilm's
lots, through all the securities that hold things back.  Lucasfilm is *insane*
about keeping this info on a short leash, and yet a lot still seeps out.

Then, we have Lego... I've yet to see a single shot of any Lego Episode I set.
Is their security really that much better?  How do they do it?

Hmm.  Actually, now that I think about it, one thing that might keep things a
little more secret is the fact that "grunt" line employees at Kenner can always
slip out a prototype figure, whereas "grunt" line employees at Lego can walk
out with.... elements.  Whee.  "Well, sure this looks like an ordinary 2x4, but
it's used in the back of the Sith Infiltrator!  Ooooh!"

And, also, the very first Lego things I saw were the minifigs, the only
obviously Star Wars bits.

And yet, I've still yet to see Episode I figs.  Or boxes.  Or blurry photos
taken from across the street through a conference room window.  How does Lego
do it?  Yeesh.

And besides all that... aren't the Episode I sets coming out around the time of
the movie- May or June?  Has Lego ever waited this long to release photos of an
upcoming set before, or is that more Lucas-demanded (1) secrecy?

eric

(1) Obviously, anyone answering that would be jumping to conclusions (2)
(2) That was my first footnote ever on a news post.  This is my second.