 Star Wars / 4776
Re: I'm hoping for THIS!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 19:03:19 GMT

I agree with you only so far...  someones trying to get us adults to buy....
but its not so much TLG...  its LUCASFILM....   they are the ones who care if
we buy the original trilogy merchandise....   kids today don't give half a
crap about the original trilogy as we do... to many of them it is "old" with
corny effects" to me the new toys are to sleek and not very rugged... but
that's according to the story line ..  civilized weapons... for a more
civilized age... (Ben Kenobi) has relevance to alot more than the Jedi's and
lightsabers!!

But yes more sets will be needed (especially in light of the fact that there
won't be any good regular sets for a long long time)  and don't worry Lucas
won't miss his target markets!!

Dan

P.S.  I've seen a couple of very impressive Falcons on past cool sites of the
week and I can only hope that lego does a good job with it...  a supposed TLG
Falcon picture I saw was not sooo  hot...

In lugnet.starwars, David Simmons writes:
Ultimate Collector's Editon Millenium Falcon!

Since the TIE Interceptor and X-wing are both being targeted at much higher
age groups (16 and up), it's reasonable to assume that TLG is trying to
capture a little of the adult SW collector market.  Many of these people
have LOTS more money in their budget than the average parent and I think TLG
would be incredibly foolish not to take advantage of the money to be made in
producing sets for this particular market.  The level of quality of the
design of the intial sets and their much more faithful interpretation of the
original ships begs to done in further incarnations like:

Millenium Falcon (who cares how much it costs!  I'd find a way!)
B-Wing
A-Wing
Y-Wing
TIE Fighter
Vader's TIE Fighter
Desert Skiff (Klaatu and Nikto please!)
Sandcrawler (an orgy of brown!)
Landspeeder
Snowspeeder (do a better two-person cockpit this time!)
Corellian Corvette (wouldn't be to scale, but with all those bricks,
wouldn't you buy one or two?)
ATT (lots o' tan)
MTT (even more brown)
Podracer's
Naboo Fighter (lots o' yellow, and chrome this time if you please!)
Flash Speeder (all that green!)
Speeder Bikes (with Technic scale maxifigs perhaps?)
Slave I
Cloud Cars (a wealth of orange)
Gungan Sub
Bantha (more brown)
Rancor (again, more brown!)
Ewok village (hate them, but more brown, and perhaps some new vegetation)

Unfortunately, most of this will probably never happen.  However, I think
TLG would be foolish to not attempt a Millenium Falcon in this series.
Adult SW collector's (just like ST collector's, anybody see "Trekkies" yet?)
have spend LOTS of money on their hobby.  It's a gold mine just waiting to
be dug.  I really hope that this line continues beyond these two sets to at
least include a few more starfighters.

BTW, I will be most interested to see what kind of minifigs come with this
set, or if they will have them at all.  It would be nice to have a TIE
Fighter pilot, although I'm sure there would be much grumbling (from all of
us!) were this the only SW set to ever contain one.  It would be a lot to
pay for one figure and I can see them commanding astronomical prices on Ebay
and other auction places.

Dave