 Star Wars / 4772
4771  |  4773
Subject:
Easy on the CAPS
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 15:41:26 GMT

Morgan Steele <MorganSteele@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:FM5JxC.JBu@lugnet.com...
If you look at any non SW set, none are to scale to real life. The cars • only
carry 1 person. The new passenger train carries 5 people. It's not LEGO • style
to make things to scale. There supposed to be a little whacky and Im damn
excited that they came out with it. Originaly last year I refused to belive
they would build one cause thats huge.

Correction:  we _were_ expecting too much from the MF.  Now we're expecting 8
hull pieces, some large plates, a new cockpit piece, and Han (w/ vest) and
Leia minifigs.  I'm at least hoping for a chess table, too, and a new
computer piece.

Nobody expected the MF to be "too scale" like the X-Wing and Y-Wing are (and
like the A-Wing should have been).  We were hoping they would do the best
possible job within the constraints of $ and space.  We at least wanted a
Kenner-like approximation.  I contend LEGO utterly failed at this.  I can
almost guarantee that within 2 months of the MF's release, you will see
posted here several modification jobs which will be _much_ better than TLC's
and which could have been done for <$100.  (Yes, I know the standard
response:  "It's LEGO, you're supposed to improve on it."  That doesn't say
anything about the quality of the original model, which is what we are
discussing.)

Take the "escape pod" for example.  There's $5 worth of parts completely
wasted, as far as I'm concerned.  Worse, it will take up interior space which
could have been used for a decent corridor.  I mean, what person who has seen
SW wants to have Luke ejecting from the MF in a goofy escape pod?  Is Ben's
escape pod any more expensive?  At least then Luke wouldn't get sucked into
the vacuum of space.

I just don't think TLC afforded the Millenium Falcon the same level of
respect they showed in modeling the X-Wing, Y-Wing, and Vader's TIE.

-John Van