 Star Wars / 2769
Re: Straying off topic about Jurassic Park (was: Lego Mania Magazine)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 22:18:59 GMT

Stuff SNIPPED that goes way over this person's head ;-)

>I thought Ian Malcom's character in the movie was much better.  As a
matter of fact, I thought that
ALL the characters in the movie were much better and much more >human that • in the book... Chrichton
doesn't seem to be able to write "decent" and normal people... all of his • characters are insanely
selfish.. even the "good guys".

Interesting viewpoint.  I'll have to read the book again, but I certainly
don't remember coming away feeling the characters weren't human enough.
However, I thought the actors and character development in JPtM took a back
seat to the dinos.  Which brings me back to Star Wars, I really hope Lucas
doesn't copy Speilberg on this approach in Episode II and III.  From what I
understand (haven't seen TPM yet), he's walking a thin line in Episode I
(i.e., about ready to fall into the pit of "boring characters in favor of
whiz-bang special effects" syndrome)

And as far as Crichton being anti-science, I've never felt that way.  As a
matter of fact, he really emphasizes the SCIENCE in science fiction
throughout all of his books.  I think, if anything, the message in JP could
be universally accepted among many people -- and that is beware of the power
of science in the wrong hands and greedy-minded people.

ObStarwars:

I've got a Really cool, and VERY accurate re-design of the Naboo Fighter • that I am going to post
when the 9905 release is out (I tried to inline it, but the file was too
big to post.

Cool!  I can't wait to see the pictures!  BTW, what's 9905?  A version of
LDRAW?

Thanks,
Steve