 Star Wars / 1783
1782  |  1784
Subject:
Colorado report - EP 1 sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 21:17:47 GMT

I ventured to the Colorado Springs' Platte Ave. Wal-Mart today during lunch
and found the following Episode I and classic trilogy sets:

Naboo Fighter (just one left, I bought it!)
Trade Federation Droid Fighter (a few in stock)
Naboo Swamp (a few in stock)
Anakin's Podracer (a few in stock)
Lightsaber Duel (several in stock, bought one)
X-Wing (a few in stock, wanted to buy one, but didn't have the $$)
TIE Fighter/Y-Wing (a few in stock)
Snowspeeder (several in stock)
Speederbikes (several in stock)
Landspeeder (several in stock)

I only bought the Naboo Fighter and the Lightsaber Duel (had to get Darth
Maul!) due to a limited "play" budget.  It was a toss up between getting
these sets or the X-Wing, which I don't have yet.  They did not have the
Gungan Sub, Sith Infiltrator or the Mos Espa Pod Race Set, although price
stickers existed for the Gungan Sub and Sith Infiltrator.

I'm still at work, so I haven't assembled either of the sets; I really
consider the Lightsaber Duel more of a minifig pack than a "set".  I really
wanted to buy the X-Wing, but I figured I should pounce on the Episode I
sets while I had some $$.

One note on value: I find that, on the whole, the Episode I sets are not
priced as well as the classic trilogy sets are.  For example, the
Snowspeeder has over 200 pieces (212?), yet the Naboo Fighter only has 174,
doesn't seem to be as well designed, and costs the same.  I also don't
believe the Lightsaber Duel delivers the same value as the Landspeeder set
does, yet it's the same price.  And, the Sith Infiltrator costs the same as
the X-Wing, but I don't think there's a comparison between the two.

Finally, be careful as you're looking in book stores or other places that
sell books.  The Episode I books (scrap books, picture books, novelization,
audio books) are plentiful, and most of them contain tons of spoilers!
These books were prominently displayed at Wal Mart.  The only thing I
haven't seen yet is the full movie soundtrack.

Steve B.