 Star Wars / 15987
Re: A quick look at the new line of MINI's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 08:04:25 GMT

With the release in OZ of the second wave of mini's some comments.

First wave, not bad, and a set is on my shelf at work. Have been tempted to
modify some of them, but with their small size I haven't been able to think of
how.
Other than bases that is. Start with the pod racers, and reverse the clear
cannon piece so that the large bit is at the front. Then remove the rear 2x2
clear radar and pod's balance on the front one (in second hole). Looks even
better if you use a 1x1x1 clear cylinder to lift them up. Using clear 2x2/4x4
clear radar, 1x1x1 clear cylinders and the clear cannon thingy I've managed to
put all of them on bases (the tie bomber is messy though).

Second wave, the good, the bad, and the ugly. And big enough to modify too. Got
a set on my shelf at work too.
Not a great fan of the MTT, but looks okay to me.
Not a fan of the ATAT either, but it doesn't look good to me (leg movement
limited for a start) but I'll leave modifying it until later.
The Y-Wing has a problem with the engine pods, So far I have moved the assembly
which connect to the hull forward to just behind the yellow 2x2 cyclinder plate
(and reversed the grey slope they connect to). Put it on a clear base too.
The Gunship is good, but as somebody commented somewhere, would be better if the
grey domes were clear. My wings wobble and I'm looking at ways of fixing that,
and the missile tubes at the top are easily broken off and need some sort of rod
down the middle (like the white ones on the y-wing engines).
And the ugly. The Millenium Falcon, couldn't stand looking at it as built, so
started to modify it (and then the others). Took out the center quarter circle
pieces at the rear, and also took off the engine assembly (replaced 1x4 dark
grey plate center rear with a blue piece (couldn't find a transparent blue, or
even 2 2x's)). Then took out the 1x6 grey plates at front and moved the wing
pieces in. This mean't the docking ports at the side stuck out too far, so
replaced the 2x2x1 grey cyclinder and black technic pin with a 2x2 grey plate
with pin on the bottom. Next the cockpit, replaced the 1x1x1 grey with hole with
a 2x1x1 grey with hole (thus moving it close to the hull). Replaced the 1 1/2
grey technic pin with one of the black pins, and added a 2x2 grey cyclinder
plate so the cockpit stuck out more (should be a clear done too?). The top 8x8
radar with marking sits a bit high, so replaced the 2x2x1 blue cyclinder
underneath with a 2x2 cyclinder plate (like the lower radar). Lastly a few small
grey plates to fill holes, and I reckon it looks much better.

Two final complaints.
Why do we have easy access to multiples of Dark Helmet's (watch SpaceBalls) Tie
and Slave, and impossible to get normal Tie's (not too hard to made your own
though).
And have to get set of four first wave to build the Tie Bomber, and for the
second wave ditto to get the y-wing.