 Star Wars / 15023
Re: Star Wars Dioramas?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:36:17 GMT

AC,

I hope you guys don't slow down.  I've always enjoyed your work, as have a
whole bunch of people here and at fbtb.

There are certainly other SW dioramas out there.  The work of S. Fujita of
course sets the standard.  That great Hoth layout Shaun and Dave did is
another great example.  I've seen lots of smaller things here and there.
Also there are some great Brickfilms that are set in SW dioramas.

That said, though, I agree that there are fewer dioramas in SW than in
something like, say, Castle.  But that's kind of the nature of the beast.
The SW line (and Space in general) has always been more about ships than
about settings.  In the whole official SW line there's like 1 baseplate (in
the Naboo Swamp set) (maybe there's one in the Jabba's Palace set?).  There
are a few more set pieces, but they're generally small--the control center
from the B-Wing set, the tree from the Speeder Bikes set, etc.  Contrast
this with Castle, Town, Wild West, etc, where the emphasis is much more on
buildings, with some wagons or catapults or cars driving around them.

Anyway, please keep up the great work.  Even if more people aren't copying
you, it doesn't mean that they aren't inspiring us to greater building
heights, both within the SW area and in other areas.  For instance, your
recent "Going Podracing" scene has a lot of inspiration to me as a Castle
builder.

Bruce