 Star Wars / 14611
14610  |  14612
Subject:
Finished! Was: Imperial Star Destroyer Arrived
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:19:11 GMT

Well, it's done, and the initial impression is that it's HUGE and
spectacular. It looks killer placed on top of my living room shelf with a
spotlight on, although it was a pain to put it there. It's HEAVY, and the
best way to move it around is to remove the bridge structure and grab the
internal frame. Even then it's a risky operation, it actually feels a bit
flimsy, despite the awesome weight. Display model it is, swooshable toy it
surely isn't! Oh, and did I mention it looks just fantastic?

Other things worth mentioning: the construction gets a bit tedious, with
hundreds and hundreds of almost identical greeblies to put in place. And
when you've finished the first internal frame and covered it with greeblies,
you're told to do the whole thing one more time :-) Having a SW/Lego friend
over to help you lightens things up a bit, and also gives you the "OOOH, are
we going to build THAT???" factor. And watching the huge beast materialize
in front of you is a very rewarding feeling. It's the biggest and baddest
Lego-set I've ever built. I spent approx. 10 hours building it, without
rushing anything, four of them with a little assistance from a friend and my
NLSO. A large table is a must. And look out for a few minor typos and
misleading colors in the instruction bible. And last but not least, remember
to eat and drink lots :-)

When I'm finished gazing and drooling, I'm planning a few modifications to
beef it up and cover up some "airy" sections.

Have fun!

Knut Olaf