 Star Wars / 13340
Re: Beefed up the Gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 07:31:21 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeremiah VanderMark writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Kai Brodersen writes:
Take a look at the main directory:
Really cool, Kai. I've had my Gunship for a week now, and finals have been
keeping me away from doing what you did. All of this year's sets seem to
suffer from the same swiss-cheesiness problem, and it's good to see the
holes filled in. One suggestion, though--don't forget to put undersides on
the wing bubbles. My gunners keep falling out!

Very nice dude.  Particularly liked what you did with and around the door to
thr crew section (much better than what I'd done - I'll have to fix mine
tonight :-).

The incredible cross sections book is definitely a handy reference for this.

I wonder about Lego's missile launchers though (the long cylindrical
thingies on top). These to me were the weakest part of the model - the
business end is waaaaay too narrow, and the other end is waaaay to wide.  I
have used the 4 3x3x6 engines off the Imperial Shuttle, narrowed using the
3x3 to 2x2 cone supplied, and then stayed at 2x2 rounds for the rest, and
this seems to look a heap better.  It also allows you to integrate the
launchers with the wings much better.

As soon as I get a sunny day, I'll try for some pics ;-)

On the bubbles, I note that the wing bubbles do not have gunners - they're
full of automated targeting machinery (maybe that was a joke, dunno).  But
they are supposed to have undersides, and another buble is way too big - I
don't have a solution for this yet.  For the outriggers, having spent a
bucket of time trying a variety of methods (particularly trying the obvious
two bubble approach until I could not see straight), I settled on attaching
one of the 6x6x2 starwars tie wing root pieces behind the bubble in a
similar configuration to the Lego approach.  Sounds stupid but it seems to
look ok.

My big problem is the rear.  I'm more or less happy with the rest, including
the doors, but getting a rear to be the right size, the right angle, look
good, mesh with the doors and not fall off.  I have no ideas.  Still, I plan
to relocate the swing points on the doors forward some, and maybe give
myself one less thing to worry about back there :-)

Now, how the devil do we get more clonies?

Richard
Still baldly going...