 Star Wars / 13339
Re: Episode 2 Republic AT-TE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Tue, 28 May 2002 05:20:35 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Jeff McClain writes:
Anyone begun work on creating the KDY manufactured AT-TE (All Terrain
Tactical Enforcer)?  I just got done watching SW:AOTC and loved the AT-TE's.
I saw a cross sectional view of one at a local book store and I actually
have had some ideas brewing in my mind about how to make a dynamic turnning
6-legged walker for my mindstorms set (non-articulated, but a way to
dynamically change the throw of the walk pace on one side or the other).
This seems like the perfect thing to try this with.  Unfortunately, I am not
very good at replicating original lines and looks (and actually, the detail
drawings don't make it very obvious how these beasts turn).  Wish Lego would
make a model of it.

Would love to see anyones work on something like this.  Meanwhile, I'm off
to begin working on my 6 legged walker design.  I'll post updates (and
hopefully a video of the prototype walker) soon!

Just uploaded some pictures of the prototype turnning 6 legged walker that I
have been thinking about (after a quick 3 hours work on it).  No, it has
nothing to do with the AT-TE that I was asking about, but it started me
thinking about trying to make a 6 legged walker that could turn without
being articulated on the body.

Basically, I don't have enough pistons to complete the "turning" portion for
both sides, but the basic premise is to take the age old 6 legged walker
with the large gears and a shaft that moves up and down through a fixed
pivoting point some distance away from it.  The twist is, you can make it
walk faster or slower (basically change the amount of distance each leg
moves through) by moving the fixed point further or closer to the gear.
Now, all you have to do, is make one side slide the point (I'm using
pistons) as far away, and the other as close as possible.  Presto...your
walker turns.  I envision you could hook up valves to make BOTH sides move
up and down at the same time, and just make it speed up or slow down (as the
terrain) changes.

Right now, I don't have the RCX placed in the center balance point, so it
wants to tip over, but with just a touch of balance, it walks and actually
TURNS quite well!!!  Once I get the balance down, I'll add a movie of it
walking.

Check out pictures at http://www.webpak.net/~jmcclain/lego/

I think I need to move away from the piston idea (I WISH lego would make
some mindstorm elctro/pneumatic switches) and try out some motors to slide
the pivot point of each side of legs (I'll work on the gear rack idea, but
the pistons just make it nice and firm).

Let me know if you all have any ideas (or maybe this is old news?).

Cheers,

-Jeff McClain