 Star Wars / 12931
Re: Question about building an AT-AT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.build.mecha
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:30:58 GMT

<<snip>>

I think a geared solution will only work if you are building the AT-AT to be as
light as possible; i.e., no internal detailing, no RCX, etc. etc.  Otherwise,
the weight of the AT-AT become substantial, and I don't think that you'll be
able to use the gearing in any weight-bearing application.  The worm gear might
hold up, but I'd expect the teeth of the meshing spur gears to rip off at an
unacceptable rate.

I second that, my 1m+ Mecha has wormgear joints in the feet, knees,
hips & neck and I had no gear rip what so ever.

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/creations/lucifer.html

AFAIK it's unheard of in lugnet.build.mecha too, but I've only been
lurking there for a couple of months now.

But motorizing it would probably be a though challenge with balance
and gear slack etc..
/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/