 Star Wars / 12923
Re: Question about building an AT-AT
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 13:56:40 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mychal Zimny writes:
I'm just looking for some input from people who have built one.  How does
one hinge the leg and hip joints?  I suppose there's always click hinges but
I was looking for another way.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Mychal,

I ended up using friction pegs for the major joints, and relying on the weight
of the AT-AT to hold the joints in position.  In all, there are four major
"joints" in the leg - the "hip" joint, which actually is located behind the
mounting braces, the upper leg, the knee, and the arched ankle joint.  For
example, hip and upper leg pins are behind the dishes seen here:

The version shown in the pictures on my Brickshelf Gallery does not have an
articulated knee - the redesign does, and it also makes use of friction pegs
there.

I think a geared solution will only work if you are building the AT-AT to be as
light as possible; i.e., no internal detailing, no RCX, etc. etc.  Otherwise,
the weight of the AT-AT become substantial, and I don't think that you'll be
able to use the gearing in any weight-bearing application.  The worm gear might
hold up, but I'd expect the teeth of the meshing spur gears to rip off at an
unacceptable rate.

Even though the legs are fully articulated, it's been my experience that the
best way to pose the AT-AT is to use straight-leg positions.  Luckily, this is
fine, as most of the scenes show the AT-AT with a straight-legged posture.  The
best I've been able to do is to have the AT-AT supported by three legs
primarily, and the fourth bent somewhat to convey the stepping motion.  Even
that, though, I wouldn't leave for any amount of time, as it's just too
unstable.

All of the above refers to a static detailed model, and not a functional
technic version.  The latter is way out of my league :P

-s