 Star Wars / 12248
Re: got em all
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Sat, 29 Dec 2001 19:30:45 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Mark Chittenden writes:
Big disappointment I found was that the decorations are all
you-apply-yourself decals rather than printed on the bricks/pieces
like other decorated parts (one exception: radar dishes with the
tie-fighter hatch design is recycled here). Rather easy to misalign a
decal and forever have a decoration that's off-kilter. (another pain
is two large side decals that cover multiple slopes).

I just recently thought this through, as many of the UCS X-Wing and RBR
stickers could have been printed pieces.  I think the problem has to do with
time to market.  It probably takes a lot longer to produce printed pieces
for a set, then to make the stickers.  There is also the expense of the
piece to consider, if they are not expecting a very large number of sales.
(I think that is the case, and why these sets are costing $100-$200.)  If
you aren't making thousands of a printed piece, then it is better to make
the stickers.

I just wish Lego would provide a duplicate set of stickers in each box.
That probably wouldn't add much cost to the design.  Then some of us would
be satisfied that we could put the stickers on and take the model apart
later.  Ya know?

-Alfred