 Star Wars / 12147
Re: We have Ewoks!! - Speeder Bike comparison pics added
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 02:21:04 GMT

Ok, finally got an original style speeder bike rebuilt for some camparison
shots:

From the skids to the handlebars they are identical in height.  From vanes
to backpack they are the same length (the studs surrounding the backpack on
the original make it a hairsbreadth longer - the apparent difference in the
photo is from mounting angle on the baseplate.)  Width is the same.

For all that the profile of the new one is much bulkier and rides lower.
The 'kickstand' doesn't really pass for a gun anymore.  The figure sits a
stud further back.  The handlebars are a plate higher from where the figure
stands leaving the head partly behind the bars rather than clear of them.

All in all it seems like someone was simply determined to remake the bike
using the new sloped pieces.  Not convinced this works well unless you put
the slopes behind the laser gun parts and make the whole thing longer.  I'll
leave it to some other adventurous soul to experiment with that as I'm fond
enough of the original design.

John