 Star Wars / 10818
Re: Children are our role models - a profile of the LEGO Company, 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 5 Feb 2001 16:24:02 GMT

In lugnet.general, Kevin Johnston writes:

Anyone else find the explicit use of the term "space ships" interesting?
I'm tempted to read it as "not playsets".  Kinda makes me wonder if there's
something in the contract that limits the kind of kits they can release.

Kevin

It is entirely possible that Lego cannot make SW playsets due to a
stipulation in their contract, however I feel compelled to point out that
there are several sets that are definitely NOT space ships.

Here's a list:
7104 - Desert Skiff, 7110 - Landspeeder, 7127 - Imperial AT-ST, 7128 -
Speederbikes, 7101 - Lightsaber Duel, 7115 - Gungan Patrol, 7121 - Naboo Swamp,
7124 - Flash Speeder, 7126 - Battle Droid Carrier, 7131 - Anakin's Podracer,
7155 - Trade Federation AAT, 7159 - Podracing Bucket, 7161 - Gungan Sub,
7171 - Mos Espa Podrace, 7184 - Trade Federation MTT, 7186 - Watto's Junkyard,
8000 - Technic Pit Droid, 8001 - Technic Battle Droid, 8002 - Technic
Destroyer Droid, 8007 - Technic C-3PO, 8008 - Technic Stormtrooper, 9748 -
Mindstorms Droid Developer Kit, 9754 - Mindstorms Dark Side Developer Kit

In fact it appears to me that most of the sets are NOT space ships.  There
are also small playsets in that mix (7101*, 7115, 7121*) which shows that
Lego can make playsets.

There are many playsets that I would like to see, so I sincerely hope that
Lego will make some.

-Bryan
hobartrus@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/hobartrus/index.html
http://brickshelf.com/gallery/hobartrus

* even though there are vehicles in these sets, they are not the main
feature of the set.

PS: This post was not meant as a point of contention, so please don't take
it that way.