 Star Wars / 10507
Re: Allow me to introduce myself
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars, lugnet.people
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:20:32 GMT

Joe, thanks for posting this and encouraging me to "decloak"! While I've
posted a few messages to SW, robotics, and some of the CAD groups I've not
yet introduced myself. Well, here goes ...

I originally got into LEGO in the mid-1970's when I was little, must have
been 5 or 6 back then. I had loads of Town sets, but I always wanted to make
spaceships out of them. Then I got a few old space sets and finally had
angled wings! As I got older I somehow lost most of my pieces and as I got
into my teens I hit my "dark ages", then a couple of years ago I noticed the
Star Wars line in Toys'R'Us and being a SW fan I picked up the X-Wing and
Darth's TIE/Y-Wing. Suddenly I found my LEGO interest renewed, and it was
pushed along by my girlfriend getting me a RIS1.0 for my 28th birthday and a
Droid Developer Kit for Xmas. Since then I've picked up all of the 1999 and
2000 non-Technic SW sets - haven't built the UCS sets yet, and I was
impressed by the Falcon despite the box looking a bit simplistic as it's got
great Woosh potential, and my 1 year old daughter loves taking the minifigs
out and playing with them, esp. Chewie who she growls at :) I've got the new
TIE and Shuttle and I'm probably going to pick up some wings and click
hinges and another TIE to build an Interceptor, plus I can use the second
TIE for recreating the DS trench run ("Almost there ..."). I also have to
say a big thanks to Micheal Lachmann for MLCAD which has also sparked
something in me, I've got it on all my PCs (work and home) so I can build
whereever I go. Now I'm 29 I get the feeling I should be putting my
childhood aside, but I also feel that being a "big kid" will help me bond
with my daughter (plus I get to buy loads of cool toys and have an excuse!),
and I'm looking forward to increasing my LEGO set count over the next couple
of years (although I will probably have to wait for sales while putting
money away to move house as I don't have any room to put my LEGO, my "spare"
room is being redecorated for my daughter).

As to interests outside of LEGO I have my job which I really enjoy - I am
the IT Manager for Computer Manuals Ltd. in the UK
(http://www.compman.co.uk/) and spend much of my time working on the website
which I have so far put 6 years into building the back-end applications (and
this year will be writing again from scratch!). The site is a little slow at
the moment as we are running nearly 20 sites on a 128kbps line, the
company's new 2Mbps line is due any day now and we're moving the Computer
Manuals and CertifyNow! (http://www.certifynow.co.uk/  aimed at IT
certifications and jobs in the UK) to a faster server (dual 600 Xeon with
512Mb RAM and 18Gb RAID5 SCSI-3) on our new line. As the IT dept is only
myself and my colleague we also spend a lot of time on user support, and
also speak to customers if they have problems that the sales team can't
solve. You can see a cartoon of me at http://www.compman.co.uk/challengedan/
which my daughter just giggles at whenever she sees it, esp. when you run
the ChallengeDan game on a PC and you get to see my character blink and
smile.

Anyway, that's enough about me, and I'd better get some proper work done ...
although I still have that Darth Maul minifig head pattern to complete (I'm
working on it Franklin, I just have a load of other stuff to do to ...)

Dan