 Star Wars / 10504
Re: MTT Alteration (please read; I worked hard on this)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 02:44:49 GMT

It looks really cool. I watche the part of EP. 1 to compare yours to the
real mtt and yours looks like it would work identically. If you have the
movie making setor something of the sort, it would be cool to see a video of
how it unfolds. Looks great. Am I the only one that didn't reply to your
post? Yowzers
I think your alterations dersevre  a little more attention

Geordan

In lugnet.starwars, Brian Stuhan writes:
I posted earlier about making a second rack for droids in the MTT.  I have
since succeeded in that as well as making it a better model in general
(IMO).  I made some simple alterations to the front, middle, and rear
portions of the model to create more room, and then it was on to the
painstaking task of not only making a rack for more droids, but also making
it so that when the first rack came out the second wasn't stuck.  As I write
this I'm uploading the files to my new Brickshelf account, so that folder
will be at the end of this message.

Photo 1: The top rack has been pulled out and the bottom is following on its
own.  I had to do a lot to make this happen smoothly.  The connection is a
chain taken from the jail of the Night Lord's Castle (for those of you who
care) and placed on the back of the top rack and the front of the bottom one.

Photo 2: A bit dark, but it's the lower rack being pulled up and out by the
upper.  I'm working on a way to effectively shorten the chain, but for now
it's still nifty.

Photo 3: A blurry photo of the back of the front section.  I removed the
unsightly white bar and replaced it with a [partref:3747] on each side,
placing it so it supports both parts of the front guns.  I also removed the
inner [partref:3040] and replaced them with, for lack of a better name, red
"cannonball" pieces (the things used in lego cannons and most catapults).

Photo 4: My second droid rack (I only have 11 droids total and 6 are on the
other rack).  I'll have to modify it to fit more guns if I get more droids,
but otherwise it's that way because I only used my scrap pieces and I didn't
have the pieces to nearly duplicate Lego's design, so I had to get a little
creative.

Photo 5: The droid rack at another angle.  It should be noted that the guns
currently sticking out extend into the rear cabin, but with my modifications
that isn't a problem.

Photo 6: My modifications to the rear cabin can't really be seen well.  I
removed the vertical columns separating the middle from the back, and I
moved the ones separating the middle from the front to the side to allow a
2-wide space between them.  I also moved the computer consoles as far
forward as they could be moved and still be used to allow for more
uninterrupted storage space in the far aft portion of the vehicle.

Photo 7: Not much to say about this one.  The closed rear part of the model.

I also fit the STAPs from the Naboo Swamp set as well as the little car from
the Naboo Fighter in the back of the model, though I may ditch those in
favor of the Battle Droid Carrier should I get that.

So....what do you think?