 Star Wars / 10392
Re: 2001 sets, my thoughts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:46:12 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Eric Lind writes:

While I bought the 3-packs (stinking compulsive behavior), I do think that
5-packs of Stormtroopers would rock!  These are arguably the most common
characters in the SW movies, and we currently have exactly 1 set to get
them, and there's only 1 per set!  I'm really glad that the "Empire Struck
Back" this year, but more of the common, get killed over and over characters
should be included.

I wasn't going to buy the 3-packs (I hate mailorder) but when I saw them at
the Mall of America (while on vacation in Minnesota) I just had to get 'em.
I do agree with you though, a Stormtrooper 5 pack would be awesome.  As it
stands now I need to get two more Imperial Shuttles, 49 more TIE Fighters,
11 more Battle Droid Carriers, and 22 more Speederbike sets... it's all so I
can have a total of 6 Royal Guards (and 3 ea of Palpatine, and Imperial
Officer,) 50 Stormtroopers (and TIE pilots,) 100 Battle Droids (and 12 of
the drivers,) and 50 Biker Scouts (and 25 freakin' Luke Skywalkers.)

While I don't mind buying two more shuttles and 11 more Battle Droid
Carriers (the parts from both are a welcome addition to my collection) I do
mind paying $20 a pop for Stormtroopers... 20x49 = $980, a little bit more
than a months rent.  I'll probably buy a few more TIEs, but I'm gonna have
to hold out for clearances or a minifig set.

I also don't relish the though of pumping out the cash for 22 more
Speederbike sets.  If Lego were to offer a minifig pack with say 2
Stormtroopers, 2 Bikerscouts, and an Imperial Officer all with weapons and
maybe some type of a "weapons station" or a droid for the traditional $6,
I'd buy tons of 'em.  Of course, a 5 pack of just Stormtroopers would rule
too... I'd buy lots of those as well.

My bet is that they're gonna do two minifig packs.  One will be "Imperials"
and the other will be "Rebels."  The "Imperials" one will come with Vader,
Palpatine, A Royal Guard, a Stormtrooper, and an Officer, while the "Rebels"
one will come with Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, and a Rebel Officer.  Oh
well, I guess paying $6 a pop for a Stormtrooper beats paying $20 a pop for 'em.

-Bryan