 Star Wars / 10021
Re: Alternate Model for 7130 Snowspeeder: ATST
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:40:57 GMT

In lugnet.starwars, Bryan Hodges writes:
In lugnet.starwars, Jason J. Railton writes:
I must admit your (or should I say Claudes?) alternate models were an
inspiration to me in my moments of temptation... <G>  How you ever saw a TIE
Interceptor in there I'll never know... but you did and it looks great.

Thanks - it's nice to know they inspired you (I'll tell Claude!  Okay, he's
really just a stuffed toy.  Sheesh.  Mind you, he's got his own e-mail
address.  claudethetiger@cwcom.net  Don't expect a reply in a hurry though).
The real trick was figuring out how to form a second pair of wings using
just plates, then most of the models grew from there.  That's about my third
or fourth version of the X-Wing, each one getting bigger and bigger.

I tried to make a TIE Fighter from my old space lego at my parents' house,
where I used the lattice dish for the front screen.  Then I realised there
was one in the Snowspeeder set...

I'd tried to build a minifig Imperial Shuttle without any decent pictures,
and failed.  I'd also made a little one-minifig shuttle from the Snowspeeder
(like the Darth Vader shuttle toy - a mini-van with wings).  After building
the skirts on my Mallard steam engine, I realised that the steep slopes in
the Snowspeeder set (including the rear windscreen) would be ideal if you
turned them through 90° and started building out sideways.

For the B-Wing, I saw someone had built one from an X-Wing set - I thought
that was lazy, since there must have been loads of pieces left over.  Then I
figured that if you can build a B-Wing from an X-Wing, and an X-Wing from a
Snowpeeder, it follows that you could build a B-Wing from a Snowspeeder.
That's 3a.m. logic for you... But I did want to build an alternate that
included the big beige baseplate.

As for extra bricks, the only Snowspeeder model in which I added an extra
brick is the Snowspeeder itself!  A single 2x3 transparent brick underneath
just lifts it off the shelf and lets it rock slightly when disturbed.

as for my website... it's quite outdated, I haven't updated it since May...
http://hobartrus.freeservers.com/lego/sw/

Very nice!  That is a big shuttle!

hmmm... I don't think an A-Wing's ever been done, but shouldn't be too hard.
A Y-Wing would be an interesting challenge though...  I've gotta buy more
Snowspeeders first though... I only own three and they're all in use...
-Bryan

I've seen an A-Wing done from an X-Wing - except the guy cheated and added
an extra brick.  Has anyone else seen these?  I think they were linked from
FBTB.  I'd say the Millenium Falcon would be tricky one - I've done one from
a Sith Infiltrator, but not a Snowspeeder.  Anyone else out there want to try?

I've actually just taken my alternatives apart - I want the pieces for my
AT-AT, but I might do a few more alternates in the meantime.

Jason.
http://www.joefish.cwc.net/