 Space / 8971
Re: Contest Entry for Non-violent space contest: Dragon-ISV
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 29 May 2001 22:02:28 GMT

In lugnet.space, Zac Soden writes:
In lugnet.space, George Haberberger writes:
In lugnet.space, Trevor Pruden writes:
Ya'know, to expand on this theme I'm actually
surprised that no one has tried to make a solar sailing vessel.  It would be
slow...granted, but that's not the point.  It could be this small central
craft with big beautiful milar sails or something like that.  hmmmmm..

Interesting, but how pure could you make a Lego Solar Sailing ship? Would it
be pure enough if you reused the holey bags that the parts come in? They're
not mylar, though.

If you go with Mylar, you don't have a pure Lego solution. I prefer Mylar,
but then if I made a Lego catamaran, I'd make sales out of muslin.

George

I wasn't going to tell anyone until I made the model very soon, but.....
Remember that huge, useless solar panel on the LOM solar explorer? Well if
you had, say, 3 of them then they would look just like the sails of a space
yacht! The problem is getting more of them. Anyone want to mail some to me :)

ZaC

That is exactly what I was thinking!  When I saw those sail-solar panel
thingies, I thought:  Okay - no real use anywhere else, but it would make a
great solar sail.  Or six to eight of them would make a great set of solar
array for a low orbit space station (like Alpha) without loading down the
truss arms.  But if you want to do it right you need the black or red
trusses from the outback airstrip or one of the older space shuttle launch
platforms.

Why TLG never sold bulk packs of those truss girders is BEYOND my reasonable
comprehension.  I think that they would have sold like hotcakes.

~Trev