 Space / 879
Re: 483 Alpha 1 Rocket Base Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2000 01:05:04 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jim Stroot writes:
I got this set for christmas in the late 70s. It's still in great shape after
all these years, but I'm looking for replacement black hoses for the fuel
truck:

http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=483

I seem to remember that they were flexible rubber, not a hard plastic. I was
thinking of ordering a Technic pneumatic tubing accessory pack. Does anyone
know if this tubing is basically the same material as the hoses that came with
the 483?

Yeah, it's a great set! I got two one year for christmas! Woohoo! Six inverted
slopes with control panels! I was ecstatic! I still have all six hoses.

But to answer your question, the tubing is not quite the same. The pneumatic
tubing wall is thicker because it needs to hold a quite a bit of pressure.
While both kinds of tubes grip extremely well, because of the thickness the
newer tubes don't kink as easily. If you're not looking to maintain 100%
original pieces for collection purposes but rather to play with, the newer
hoses will work just fine.

Even though they're not the same, if you're looking to sell that set, it's my
guess that the newer tubing will hold up better over the years. Therefore any
buyer that plays with them, unless he's the strictest purist in this case,
will probably prefer them versus the old hoses. I say "strictest" because even
though the newer tubes are official Lego pieces, neither are not the same kind
of tube, nor did they come as original parts in that set.

-Tom McD.
when replying, spamcake was once used in urinal deodorant discs.

The San Francisco Bay Area Users Group
http://www.baylug.org