 Space / 8164
Re: 6923 instruction oddities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sun, 1 Apr 2001 08:42:49 GMT

I just discovered this, after picking up my third Particle Ionizer.
The instruction book (print version 120096) varies from my
other two (print version 120267) in both the rotor assembly
and the crane arm attachment.

Brickshelf has the 120267 printing.

The 120096 version looks earlier, and the rotor does not
bang into the crane arm.  But it looks more fragile;
the rotor is attached to a 1x2-brick-with-technic-peg-on-side
that is on a 1x2 tilt bearing, which would fall off easier than
the double-clip-on-a-1x2-rollbar of the later printing.
The crane arm is attached on top of two 1x2-tile-with-center-studs,
and would pop off more easily than the later version's
headlight-brick assembly.  Alas, the set I got had pieces for
the newer instructions (2nd hand set, not in box).

Well, it's way cool that I have both versions, since this
is one of the first few sets that brought me out of my
Dark Ages.
-gyug

In lugnet.space, Paul Mison writes:
In lugnet.space, Steve Bliss wrote:

In lugnet.space, Paul Mison wrote:

Are your instructions the same as Brickshelf's?

Except for the instruction part number (see my original), yes. (In other
words the steps are identical.). Interestingly, the version of 6923 on
the 6710 (baseplate) packaging also has the hinge:
-> http://www.lugnet.com/fibblesnork/lego/guide/space/set/pic-6710-1.html

It's a bit tricky to see from here. I might scan in a closeup if anyone
wants one.

I think the 1x1 should just sit on the shoulder of the pin, so the antenna
assembly can spin freely.

Right. That's the way I have it now, and it rattles just a bit, but I
can live with that. Any ideas why it sits too 'low'? Does yours spin
freely above the crane?

Try <http://www.lugnet.com/cad/ldraw/parts/ref/images/2432.gif>

Yes, that's it. I wouldn't have guessed that name but it's obvious now.

cheers :: paul