 Space / 815
Re: Subgroups? (was: Re: Hey!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 20:44:40 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Shiri wrote:

In lugnet.space, Jon Palmer writes:

   Space group thingies? Eh?

   -palmer

He meant (I'm guessing) the sub-theme folders/sub-newsgroups.
They're new in all themes, not only space.
See thread:
http://www.lugnet.com/town/?n=376
I think this is how they originated.

I don't see any anywhere.  I use "subscribe" on my newsreader, and get
only lugnet.space--the other theme groups also don't show any
"subgroups".

FWIW (two cents, see below), I think subdividing .space at this point is
really counterproductive.  I have enough trouble with the current number
of groups, and I don't think we'd have the kind of productive and
interesting discussions we've had in .space if we were all atomised into
our little favourite themes.  I'd much rather keep all discussions of
Space themes here rather than parting them out further.  It just seems
like clutter to me, as "neat" as it may sound to have a very
well-structured hierarchy.  I'd much rather have only Space as my
clearinghouse for M:Tron, Blacktron I + II, Classic Space, Insectoids,
et cetera--IMHO, only when traffic becomes so heavy in a group that it's
impossible to keep up with a newsgroup twice a week (say, 30 messages a
day) is subdivision really productive.  The critical mass of active
participants just isn't here (in .space) yet, and I know for certain it
isn't there in .pirates or .boats.

Just my $0.02.  I'll squeak this into lugnet.admin.general too--one of
those newsgroups I already have trouble keeping up with.

best,

Lindsay

I agree.  The .space newsgroup has always been just fine w/o the subgroups.
Plus, has anyone ever really felt the need for .space subgroups?  Even if
someone actually did want them, I also agree that having them arranged by TLG's
subthemes is worthless.  Why not have subgroups like "constructing" and
"concepts", etc., if there are to be any subgroups at all?  Let's just not use
the subgroups.  I figure, .space is fine as is, and subgroups are simply to be
ignored.