 Space / 5935
  Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

MASA CONTACT: J. SPENCER REZKALLA PRESS RELEASE: 01-08 ROLLOUT OF THE NEW SPACE SHUTTLE INTREPID The new Space Shuttle orbiter, the Intrepid (OV-106), rolled out today at a ceremony in Belleville, Mich., where the orbiter was assembled by Rockwall (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build) !!

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) Cute. I liked the LL 928 on the crawler. Needs working payload bay doors on the orbiter, of course. ++Lar (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) Actually the payload doors do open and close. I have a few shots of them open while the orbiter was under construction. (URL) they don't do however is open and close very easily - I'm still battling some warpage problems there. I built the (...) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) (snipped) (...) there.. oi.. to have so many.. opps..sorry.. I'll day dream elsewhere. Do you have pictures of the interior besides the cockpit (which is really awesome, BTW)? I'd love to see 'em if you do! Joel Jacobsen (URL) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) <snip> (...) and booster rockets, as well as a launch pad and a maintenance rack... <G> but if you don't, I'll be satisfied with just the shuttle... ;) -Bryan hobartrus@hotmail.com (URL) (23 years ago, 11-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) I've added some new photos to the Brickshelf Gallery showing the retractable landing gear, payload bay, and crew decks. (URL) the mid-deck isn't well done at this time (only has three seats and some storage lockers) It is hard to photograph, (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) Not surprisingly I have thought about the above things. When you've made it this far, funny things pop into your head :) The orbiter itself has been constructed with reinforced external tank mounting points. There are a couple of things (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) general did you USE on that thing?! I don't even want to think of how heavy must be! This set of pictures makes your work even more impressive; I know how hard black is to photograph and get the detail to come out. Any guesses on the piece (...) (23 years ago, 12-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) Yes, it is heavy, but probably not as heavy as you may think. Maybe ten pounds? The wings are generally 4 plates thick at the leading edge and become thicker inboard as the approach the fuselage and landing gear wells. I used 90 wing elements (...) (23 years ago, 13-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)

  Re: Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid

(...) Suuuuuure... as long as the noose is around your neck, you might as well jump off the horse.... right? :) I've been that far before.. but on MUCH smaller "big" projects - big to me, I guess. :) (...) Actually, as I recall - the first few (...) (23 years ago, 17-Jan-01, to lugnet.space, lugnet.build)