 Space / 5935
5934  |  5936
Subject:
Rollout of the New Space Shuttle Intrepid
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 02:44:39 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

MASA CONTACT: J. SPENCER REZKALLA
PRESS RELEASE:  01-08

ROLLOUT OF THE NEW SPACE SHUTTLE INTREPID

     The new Space Shuttle orbiter, the Intrepid (OV-106), rolled out
today at a ceremony in Belleville, Mich., where the orbiter was
assembled by Rockwall International Corporation's Space System Division
(SSD).

     A crowd of Rockwall employees and their families, government
leaders and top Rockwall and Minifig Aeronautics and Space
Administration (MASA) officials was on hand as the Intrepid made its
public debut.

      MASA's Chief Administrator calls Intrepid MASA's finest Space
Shuttle yet and praised the efforts of the people on the MASA/industry
team across the nation who contributed to the new orbiter's
construction.

     He stated, "On behalf of MASA and the nation, I am extremely proud
to be taking delivery of the Space Shuttle orbiter Intrepid, the latest
in a line of magnificent flying machines.  Painstakingly built by some
of the finest and most dedicated members of the government/industry work
force and equipped with extremely capable avionics and mechanical
systems, Intrepid will join our fleet of remarkable space ships in
carrying out the world's grandest adventure, the exploration of this
vast new ocean we call space."

     The commander and pilot of Intrepid's first flight were present to
receive the ceremonial "keys" to Intrepid from Rockwall.

     Intrepid is scheduled to be mated to MASA's Shuttle Carrier
Aircraft at the Rockwall Belleville facility early next week and flown
to Ellington Field, near MASA's Manned Spaceflight Center, Houston, for
an overnight stay. Intrepid is scheduled to arrive at the Brickport
Space Center, Fla., on January 19th.

     The orbiter is capable of carrying a crew of up to seven minifig
astronauts, as well as satellites and space station components within
it's 60x14 stud cargo bay. The vehicle features split level crew
quarters, working cargo bay doors, retractable landing gear, and movable
elevons.

     SSD manages the Intrepid construction program under the direction
of the Manned Spaceflight Center.  Construction of the Intrepid took
more than three months to complete. Final assembly, test and checkout
were performed at the SSD Belleville facility.  In addition, more than a
dozen Brickbay subcontractors and several external suppliers nationwide
provided Lego materials for Intrepid's components.

                             - end-

Press photos available at:

J. Spencer Rezkalla