 Space / 38342
Re: Group MOC Study - Pirate Gunboat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2005 07:31:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Leonard Hoffman wrote:

Haha!!  I knew that the first guy to question my choice for MOC Highlight was
gonna be Keith! and I had an idea that it might be about JP's Gunboat.

I was not questioning your choice of MOC highlight, Mr. Lenny, I just didn't
realize it was limited to one MOC at a time.  Although its odd that he didn't
post it to .Space, I think Woody's MOC was outstanding and deserving in every
way of the recognition.  Believe me, I'm just glad its not the pcs sidebar
anymore.  I appreciate your efforts in getting things updated.  It isn't that
Chris G's stuff isn't great, its just nice to share the love a little bit.  As a
card carrying communist, I thought you'd be all about sharing.

While I am trying to make the sidebar updated more consistently, I want to
keep the MOC Highlight as a badge of honor, which means keeping some level of
quality.  However, that level is going to be arbitrary and subjective.  I try
to define the level of quality as a particular attribute that raises the said
MOC above the rest.  For example, Ono's
<http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=38255 Space Pod> has a striking shape and
sophistication given its small size.  This moves it from the level of
'excellent' to 'amazing.'(1)  JP's Gunboat is skirting the amazing level.

Then there is the 2nd rule: one MOC Highlight at a time, and each MOC
Highlight is given a fair amount of time, meaning a week or more.  I'm not
running a clock or whatever, so I feel free to change the MOC highlight when
I feel like it - whether five days or nine days.  Unfortunate side effect of
this is that you can get eclipsed by another MOC(2).  So in light of rule 2,
I felt that Ryan's Alien Fighter was more amazing than JP's Gunboat.(3)

Why exactly? Well, I don't care to compare MOCs, but I tend to value
non-traditional designs above more traditional ones.  Plus I believe the
detail work is more stylish and sophisticated(4).

[No offense to JP - his Gunboat is {excellent}.  I have no doubt that he will
eventually get a MOC Highlight, as his work is consistently excellent and
inspiring.]

And to anyone else, I recommend sending suggestions for the MOC Highlight to
me via email rather than posting them.  Or else you might get a long post
like this as a responce!!

-Lenny Hoffman¬
#1168; Space Curator

(1)=The levels being [awful] - [poor] - [fair] - [good] - [excellent] -
[amazing]

(2)= Actually happened to me.  The day before I posted the November Shuttle
(which I thought was my best shuttle yet, and was very hopeful of getting the
MOC Highlight), Keith posted the Ghoul, which over-shadowed the November by a
long shot.  Oh well, I keep building and hope for recognition next time.

(3)= build.mecha does this quite a bit differently.  Please don't think that
I'm slighting Eric's method.  It is just two different ways at the same goal.
Also, I tend to not consider mecha for the space sidebar, as they have
recognition at the build.mecha sidebar.  "Tend" means that I may put a mecha
up there, if I feel it is deserving enough.

(4)= Sophisticated would mean something like complicated SNOT work - the sort
of techniques that aren't easily guessed or replicated w/o some serious
firsthand examination of the MOC.

Wow Lenyu that was quite an involved explanation, thanks for making your thought
process clear.  I respectfully disagree with you about point #3, I think the
.Mecha approach to the sidebar is more inclusive, and encourages new meat by
putting their names in lights, so to speak.  .Mecha seems to be getting
increased traffic lately, and the sidebar is probably contributing to it.  I'm
not saying put up just any piece of junk, but I think there is room for more
than just one.  Since the great exodus to CSF, I think .Space could use a shot
in the arm.  I myself would have preferred to share the spotlight with your
November Shuttle (point #2).  Just my 2 cents.  I didn't mean to threadjack you
JP, the Pirate Gunboat Rocks and deserves its day in the sun without this kind
of discussion.

-Keith