 Space / 38334
Re: Group MOC Study - Pirate Gunboat
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2005 20:12:18 GMT

In lugnet.space, Keith Goldman wrote:
   p.s. put it on the sidebar Lenny, you commy-pinko bastard!

Haha!! I knew that the first guy to question my choice for MOC Highlight was gonna be Keith! and I had an idea that it might be about JP’s Gunboat.

While I am trying to make the sidebar updated more consistently, I want to keep the MOC Highlight as a badge of honor, which means keeping some level of quality. However, that level is going to be arbitrary and subjective. I try to define the level of quality as a particular attribute that raises the said MOC above the rest. For example, Ono’s Space Pod has a striking shape and sophistication given its small size. This moves it from the level of ‘excellent’ to ‘amazing.‘(1) JP’s Gunboat is skirting the amazing level.

Then there is the 2nd rule: one MOC Highlight at a time, and each MOC Highlight is given a fair amount of time, meaning a week or more. I’m not running a clock or whatever, so I feel free to change the MOC highlight when I feel like it - whether five days or nine days. Unfortunate side effect of this is that you can get eclipsed by another MOC(2). So in light of rule 2, I felt that Ryan’s Alien Fighter was more amazing than JP’s Gunboat.(3)

Why exactly? Well, I don’t care to compare MOCs, but I tend to value non-traditional designs above more traditional ones. Plus I believe the detail work is more stylish and sophisticated(4).

No offense to JP - his Gunboat is excellent. I have no doubt that he will eventually get a MOC Highlight, as his work is consistently excellent and inspiring.

And to anyone else, I recommend sending suggestions for the MOC Highlight to me via email rather than posting them. Or else you might get a long post like this as a responce!!

-Lenny Hoffman
#1168; Space Curator

(1)=The levels being awful - poor - fair - good - excellent - amazing

(2)= Actually happened to me. The day before I posted the November Shuttle (which I thought was my best shuttle yet, and was very hopeful of getting the MOC Highlight), Keith posted the Ghoul, which over-shadowed the November by a long shot. Oh well, I keep building and hope for recognition next time.

(3)= build.mecha does this quite a bit differently. Please don’t think that I’m slighting Eric’s method. It is just two different ways at the same goal. Also, I tend to not consider mecha for the space sidebar, as they have recognition at the build.mecha sidebar. “Tend” means that I may put a mecha up there, if I feel it is deserving enough.

(4)= Sophisticated would mean something like complicated SNOT work - the sort of techniques that aren’t easily guessed or replicated w/o some serious firsthand examination of the MOC.