 Space / 37615
37614  |  37616
Subject:
Tracked Things Festival Continues: XTank "Proof of Principle"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:08:35 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi, everyone.

I’m starting to think this calls for a “put treads on it” contest.

Adrian and Nik have inspired me to break out my March find of conveyor belt service packs (the narrow ones, sadly) to work up a “proof of principle” that I hope to rebuild when I have my wide conveyor belt runs back in hand.

It makes sense to share it with you here for observations, ideas, and general information. Bear with me because it’s the first thing I’ve actually built in over two years, and the primary purposes were to work out the track geometry and see if I could actually get a middle tread into a working tank. (The “next version” may actually have a middle track going all the way over the center.) The short result is that yes, it’s possible, and it does actually roll on carpet!

Without further ado: The X-Tank.

Click on it for other versions. Other features within it are still in “primitive” state; I want to lower and contour the housing better, and get a better system for retracting that sensor mast which was inspired by Winch Chung’s vintage Ogre illustrations. Of course, a real tank would cover those treads from plunging shot, but it looks so neat when they’re rolling across the top like some holdover form WWI.

Regards

LFB