 Space / 37588
Re: POWER ON!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 17:41:13 GMT

Did anyone else love this show and these toys as much as I did?
Anyone remember it?

I'd always heard about it, but where I lived locally, it wasn't carried.  It
wasn't until I was up in Montreal about 5 years ago that I got to watch an
episode of it on Canada's Space Channel (awesome channel--beat Sci-Fi hands down
if you ask me).

Does anyone remember Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future?
It was a TV show in the 80's, and in parts of it, you could take one of the toy
ships and shoot at badguys in the screen. They also released videotapes with
special missions you could play with.

One interesting thing to note--
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092329/fullcredits

I know a little about the history of this show.  It was an idea given form
(oops, more on that in a moment),as a new idea using TV as a way to make a toy
more interactive.  The budgets were not high for this this show.  As I've done
set design on a shoestring (or less) budget, I understand the need for
creativity (hey, wait...isn't that an ideal that LEGO promotes?).  One such
great story out of Captain power is that they had 52 bucks for set design budget
for an episode...well, in essence, the crew went dumpster diving, and were quite
proud of what they were able to accomplish.

Speaking of that crew...have you ever looked at the names of the producers, set
designers, and other members of the crew?  What's interesting is that quite a
few names on this show got back together and put together a show that spawned
many, many fans....here's some of the notable names on Captain Power:

Writing credits:
Lawrence (Larry) DiTillio
Christy Marx
J. Michael Straczynski  (HINT)
Marc Scott Zicree

Produced by:
John Copeland
Douglas Netter

Production Design:
John Iacovelli

Visual Effects:
Ron Thornton

Now, hop on over to this link:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105946/

For those of you too lazy to hit the link... the show that reunited a few of the
Captain Power gang?

Babylon 5.

Here's Captain Jonathan power in his original colors. (close at least. haha)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/Figures/02-captainpowerold.jpg

Here's Corporal Jennifer "Pilot" Chase. She and Power totally had the hots for
eachother. Even I knew that when I was like 3 years old. I had the hots for her
too though.

P.S. The actor playing the pilot went on to do the (even worse) show "Earth 2"
but did come back on Stargate SG-1 as Dr. Weir before Tori Higginson stepped in
for the full time role on Stargate Atlantis.

Captain Power was the original "face" on the A-Team pilot...

Dr. Stuart Power came back to B5 for a bit role or two.

-just my .02 (or maybe ".05")
Scott Lyttle