 Space / 37578
Re: POWER ON!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:29:23 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Yuhas wrote:
   Does anyone remember Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future? It was a TV show in the 80’s, and in parts of it, you could take one of the toy ships and shoot at badguys in the screen. They also released videotapes with special missions you could play with.

I remember that show.. I also remember thinking, “man, this show is terrible”... but then , I at the time I didn’t realise that they were diverting so much effort into the toy franchise :-)

Here’s a box shot from the toy I used to have. http://www.parnasas.com/PopArena/Articles/potato/1newgraphics/power2.jpg

Here’s my LEGO version of the XT-7 http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/XT-7/02-xt7.jpg

And the whole folder. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=108862

And here are the figures I built.

I made a new version of Captain Jonathan Power with the wrong colors, but I like him better this way. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/Figures/01-captainpowernew.jpg

Here’s Captain Jonathan power in his original colors. (close at least. haha) http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/Figures/02-captainpowerold.jpg

Here’s Corporal Jennifer “Pilot” Chase. She and Power totally had the hots for eachother. Even I knew that when I was like 3 years old. I had the hots for her too though. Obviously, she’s a pilot. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/Figures/03-jennpilot.jpg

Here’s Lieutenant Michael “Tank” Ellis. His specialty was pretty much just kicking butt and blowing stuff up. http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/Figures/04-tank.jpg

And this is Sergeant Robert “Scout” Baker. His specialty was... you know, I don’t really remember what he did. I think he sat at the computers a lot... http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DYuhas/Captain-Power/Figures/05-scout.jpg

And the evil genius villain, Lord Dread. He’s a bad bad man, and his action figure came with this futuristic cutlass. He had a red mechanical eye thing and he was half robot. He was basically a terminator darth vader pirate that sat in a chair a lot and acted evil. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1033262

Well, these compare pretty well to the characters in the series... Well done :-)

So let me know what you think about the minifigures and the ship. Did anyone else love this show and these toys as much as I did? Anyone remember it?

I remember it as being the first sci-fi show where after watching I sat down and thought in all honesty, “I could do better than that myself”... but then I might have been a bit older at the time, maybe 13 or 14 - thanks for the flashback though :-)

Cheers,