 Space / 37338
Re: Let there be .space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:40:42 GMT

Even though Anton's library isn't the Ldraw library, there isn't that much
difference between the underlying animation code for Anton's stuff and L3P's
output.  The animation code is basially the same.  The main differences are that
Anton has made alot of short cuts (red=<1,0,0> etc), his parts are at a
different scale, and his parts are alot nicer looking (round head is really
round, glass bends light, soft edges, etc).

I think I downplayed the differences between Anton's parts and Ldraw.  The Ldraw
library is made up of lines, triangles, etc that represent walls.  The parts are
"hollow".  Anton's parts represent cylinders, cubes, spheres, etc.  Anton's
parts are not hollow.  Thus, the glass parts actually refract the light.  Anton
really deserves alot of credit for his parts, especially considering he has been
developing them alone, whereas Ldraw has had alot of people contributing.

Anton's parts are also set up so that making an animation is relatively easy.
L3P on the other hand, isn't.

Unfortunately, because the parts are at a different scale, you just can't
convert Ldraw models to POV-Ray format using Anton's parts like you can LGEO
parts.

I should also give Anton most of the credit for the animation.  Of course he
modeled everything, the ships, the lasers, the explosion (most of it--the part
that sucks is my fault), etc.  He also taught me everything I know about POV-Ray
and helped me with most of the technical problems I encountered.  All I did was
move ships through 3d space...

We did use Ldraw for some of the models.  Ldraw is an awesome way to share
building instructions for Anton's library.  We have asked many people on this
forum for Ldraw files to their models because we like them, and we are still
hoping some of the Mac users (surprizingly nearly all of the people we asked are
Mac users) who don't use Ldraw will fire up MBC and start making Ldraw files of
their models.

Correction: the majority of people I have talked to use Macs.  I guess Anton has
been asking people far longer than I have, and most of them use PC's.

I wish everyone used Ldraw.  I know it is time consuming.  If I had some sort of
budget, I would actually pay people to put some of their larger models into
Ldraw....  I just don't have time to build all the stuff I want to animate!  :)

James