 Space / 37322
Re: Let there be .space
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2004 18:12:17 GMT

Okay, I downloaded this, but my PC can't figure what to use to play it back.
Any ideas on what I program I should get for it?

It played in QuickTime when I clicked on it (I chose to do that rather than
downloading and saving it... maybe I should have saved it because it's tres
nifty!)

I don't think the mime type is set for it.  When I click on it, it comes as
binary.  I could post some specific html code to have it open in QuickTime.  But
yes, QuickTime is required, version 6 I think.

How much render time did this take, and on what platform?

At 640 x 360, it took about a day to render on a G5 dual 2.0 GHz.

At 1920 x 1080 it took several days (didn't really time it--it was always "hurry
up, hurry up") to render on 5/6 G5 dual 2.0 GHz Macs.  The movie that is public
is the 1920x1080 scaled down (looks better).

It was rendered with MegaPOV (POV-Ray with more features)

Because POV-Ray is crossplatform, the animation can be rendered on any platform,
but both Anton and I use Macs, and I manage 400 Macs, 130 of which are G5 dual
2.0 GHz.

I have been testing Xgrid, which is simple distributed computing software (for
Mac OS X) and I have already offered to render stuff if people email me.  I am
rendering stuff for Anton pretty regularly now.  When my system goes "official",
the service will be limited to Univesity students.  But until then, while I set
it up, I can render whatever I want, right?  ;)  The only restriction is that a
frame has to render under 12 hours or so, otherwise the grid wont really produce
any results (because of the nature of my lab, not the grid software).

Even though Anton's library isn't the Ldraw library, there isn't that much
difference between the underlying animation code for Anton's stuff and L3P's
output.  The animation code is basially the same.  The main differences are that
Anton has made alot of short cuts (red=<1,0,0> etc), his parts are at a
different scale, and his parts are alot nicer looking (round head is really
round, glass bends light, soft edges, etc).

We did use Ldraw for some of the models.  Ldraw is an awesome way to share
building instructions for Anton's library.  We have asked many people on this
forum for Ldraw files to their models because we like them, and we are still
hoping some of the Mac users (surprizingly nearly all of the people we asked are
Mac users) who don't use Ldraw will fire up MBC and start making Ldraw files of
their models.

True geeks want to know that stuff, you should add it to the credits.

I plan on writing a tutorial.  It is alot easier than alot of people think
(easier than I thought).  But I'm busy right now, so it will be later rather
than sooner.  Email if you want the POV-Ray file that made the animation.

Several years ago, I thought the solution was to write an Ldraw animation app.
I've changed my mind.  I think animation in POV-Ray is the way to go. If you are
a real animator, you can even import stuff into Blender and Maya (Mac and PC).
Wow.

I'm looking for help on my next project too.  So if you want to help, well, let
me know.

James