 Space / 34818
Re: Sam-Bots and their "steeds"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2004 04:31:30 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jean-Pascal Rignault wrote:
   Nice use of these masks, you succed in integrating them pretty well in these over sleds.

The trick is to start with the Rahkshi heads and work the rest of the design into them. Bricks are easy to work with, but there’s so little room inside these things that your options are limited enough as it is, without having the extra challenge of trying to incorporate them into a pre-built sled. I can think of two basic ways to do it. I chose the really complicated method that uses five stud-free TECHNIC parts crammed inside but gives it a really solid connection. The other option would be to just pop the hole in the top of the head onto a single stud, but that’d allow it to twist to the side, or just pop loose altogether.

   The the samurai helmet the pilots wear + the flags on the back of the sled give a nice style to the overall.

Oh, the whole design basically screams “Japanese cavalry”. Firstly, the “crotch-rocket” motorcycles that inspired the use of the Rahkshi heads are permanently associated with companies like Yamaha and Suzuki. Also, the whole look of the Rahkshi models themselves looks like something you might see in an anime piece. The rest of the original hovercycle (the Oni) very much resembles Darth Maul’s speederbike, and he’s very similar to the description of the traditional Japanese oni (black and red with white horns), and fights in very traditional Japanese styles (in order of appearance, his lightsaber is used like a nagamaki, a bo staff, and a katana). Adding the kabuto helmets and the uma jirushi flags just helps to enforce the image.

   In a way it reminded me of Judge Dredd.

Since my experience with Judge Dredd is limited entirely to watching the deplorable Stallone movie and reading one or two Batman/Judge Dredd crossovers, I’ll have to take your word on that.