 Space / 33597
Re: HoverRod: The Big Gulp
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 12 May 2004 13:17:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Matt Bohlmann wrote:
   Full disclosure: Since I put the finishing touches on this ship a couple weeks before the Civilian MOC Contest was announced, it doesn’t qualify as an official entry...

The inspiration: I was watching an old favorite movie, Battle Beyond The Stars, which features some of the most delightfully odd (and anatomically correct) spaceship designs on record. A couple of ships that caught my eye this time were Gelt’s (resembling a manta ray) and Cayman’s (resembling a grouper fish, or a lizard’s head, or a McD’s apple pie carton) -- both with prominent “open mouths” up front.

So I tinkered around with this “gaping bow” design, and (with a little help and a lot of parts from a certain J. Fett) came up with something that’s part hot-rod, part dustbuster, and almost all intake:

Big Gulp

Although I originally imagined this as a spacecraft, one look at that intake and those vented engines, and obviously this has to be an atmospheric vehicle -- something you’d find zipping around Coruscant in defiance of local speed restrictions.

Wanna race?

Matt

Very original! I quite like it...such an odd, but effective mix of simple greebs and slope placement. The ‘gaping maw’ reminds me of the open grill of the 70’s Camero’s...just plain mean. The only minor thing that off tweaks it a bit for me is the colour scheme, but I realize this is a necessary evil due to part availability....knowing this, I think you made the best of what is available. Great build!

-Gil