 Space / 33175
33174  |  33176
Subject:
Guide to Jade Empire
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general, lugnet.announce
Date:
Thu, 29 Apr 2004 18:42:56 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I put this together to help out those people who may be wondering just what exactly this whole Jade Empire business is all about. If anyone else has anything to contribute, please feel free to post!

Some time ago on Lugnet (and in chat conversations outside of Lugnet) a couple afols were talking about plans for enemies for PCS. The Eastern Block, made popular by Lenny Hoffman and Chris Giddens, as well as Rick Hallman, Mark Sandlin, and others, was a worthy foe, but I guess someone wanted something new. Since the Block was based on communist Russia, how about a space subtheme based on their neighbor China? So for some time, the Jade Empire stewed in people’s minds, never really getting representation in moc form.

Until relatively recently.

Here’s the rundown of every Jade Empire moc I am aware of, listed in order of their appearance:

Lenny Hoffman’s Jade Empire Elefant - Originally an EB design, JE adopted it for their own uses. As far as I know, this is the only time JE is referenced as an ally of the Eastern Block. Currently, Jade Empire is attacking every known space faction.

Steve Runnels’ Sinicus fighter - About the time this came out, more discussions were taking place about the color scheme and look of the Jade Empire. We all basically settled on dark grey/light grey with green/sand green.

Around this time, Jon Palmer started a moc, but it eventually turned into his Crimson Skies Beserker.

Then Ryan Wood’s Jiao-zhan Dou heavy fighter debuted.

Keith Goldman’s Lo Pan raider came out the same time as Jiao-zhan Dou. It presented a completely different style of JE, and soon the wheels were turning in builder’s minds on how to bridge that gap of styles.

Chris Gidden’s Koutetsu was next, again a different style of JE.

Nathan Wells’ Samurai came next, an organic-looking craft that made good use of an x-pod.

Chris Maddison’s Irezumi fighter followed, and is accepted by many as the best Jade Empire moc to date. It fulfills many people’s ideals of how JE should look, and he successfully bridged the gap between Lo Pan and Jiao-zhan Dou.

Most recently, Ryan Wood’s Ju Zhen

So there’s a handful of ideas for people who may be interested in this new subtheme in .space. Hopefully this will inspire even more mocs!