 Space / 33111
Re: Mars DVD solutions posted
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.general
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 2004 02:16:15 GMT

Spoiler alert if you were going to try solving the code yourself.
Hints if you tried and gave up.

In lugnet.general, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.space, Kelly McKiernan wrote:

If you're a geek like me who spent time solving the Mars Rover DVD...

Not only that, but I owe geeks like you for informing me about the contest.
Thank you, it was a lot of fun! I got a whole class of 3rd-6th graders started
on code-breaking due to that contest <grin>...

Thanks for posting the original contest notification.  I would never
have known about it otherwise.  Of course, I did waste the majority of a
day on this problem.  The reason I kept going was the lure of getting
those certificates.

My major time waster was trying to interpret Spirit as Morse code before
reading any hints.  I knew it would be some form of Huffman code.

Once I read clue 2, a quick web search for {Author} and {Title} resulted
in a page of text containing the plain text of clue 1.  Surprisingly, to
me anyway, that text was found on the Planetary Society web site.  I was
about an hour from the solution at this point.

The key to isolating the text was in the punctuation.  Notice clue 1 had
a few non-standard characters.  I lost most of an hour by assuming only
alphanumerics would be encoded.  One very common character is encoded.

Clues 4 and 5 together state the kind of Huffman coding was used.  Clues
3 and 6 can be inferred by noticing the spacing between the punctuation
in clue 1.  All substrings have a length with a common divisor, given in
clue 6.  Clue 3 just means the problem can be broken into two simpler
problems.  All further clues explicitly give the answer letter by letter.

What I found interesting was the first 10 solvers of each code... [and]
30 randomly-chosen people who successfully solved the codes.

Don't suppose anybody here's gotten notice they won?

Nope, and no chance on the Spirit code (I needed hint #6 before I was able to
crack it - partly due to time limitations, partly due to intelligence).
Opportunity I was early on, (but probably not within an hour - Wow!), but
probably not that early. What surprised me, actually, was how *few* (relatively
speaking) people solved the code - I mean, at the end the hints were pretty much
give-aways (no slight intended - I still don't know how people were doing it
with only, essentially, the first hint).

I can see two reasons.  The main one being row order vs. column order.
I lost a chunk of time by analyzing the bits in the wrong order.

How was this event publicized?  These posts are the only thing I saw.
Had this been cross-posted to .robotics I am sure many more of the code
jockeys would have jumped at the opportunity.

Funny about that Opportunity code, though... I didn't realize it
was Braille,

   Funny 'bout that - I realized it within about 10 minutes of looking at it. I
was very proud of this, until I showed it to a 5th-grader who within 10-15
seconds of looking at the picture, said "it's braille - where's the dictionary?"
Oh well, being humbled is good for me <grin>...

I spent 10 minutes before realizing it was Braille.  I showed it to my
wife and she had it in 5 seconds.

Doug