 Space / 32769
Re: Interesting spacey stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:18:06 GMT

In lugnet.space, Tony Alexander wrote:
A couple of interesting things to look at:
     * This month's issue of Popular Science has a look at our space program
and plans to build a moonbase.  Haven't had time to read my copy yet, so I
don't know if it's useful, but the pics look cool.

It's accompanied by the first part of what I believe is a 3-parter article on
the history, philosophy, and future of space exploration, starting in the April
issue (which has been on the shelves for a while, so you better check soon if
you're interested).  I couldn't resist picking it up when the cover so proudly
announced "Moonbase!".  I've been meaning to post a pic of the cover here, but I
haven't gotten around to it (I did take it to the last MichLUG meeting, though).

As for building the average Moonbase module, there's really not a lot of
terribly useful info, but it does give you a decent idea of what you'd want to
do to build a contemporary equivalent.  The most interesting factoid tossed out
is that building a protective habitat could be accomplished by sending very
large cargo-landers that would be tipped on their sides to form a network of
connected spaces, much like the way the ISS is being built.  To protect the
inhabitants from cosmic radiation, the modules would be sunk half-way into the
ground, and large bags of regolith would be draped over the top as shielding.
Sorry, windows are pretty absent in this design.  Other, larger sections would
consist of a metal framework that supports an inflatable habitat, which
basically means you can use one habitat to transport the parts for another
larger habitat.