 Space / 32273
Re: Two new craft
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:15:53 GMT

In lugnet.space, Bruce Hietbrink wrote:
   Hey,

Good stuff. I especially like the way you constructed the wings on the tri-winged craft using the arched windows. We’ve seen a couple of MOCs using a lot of arched window elements like this lately, perhaps inspired by that new helicopter set? One critique is that the cockpit portion of that MOC seems a little sparse.

That work in progress ship is pretty impressive. How much of the ship is that? I could imagine that part you’ve shown as the back portion of a ship like the one from 2001, with a back engine part, then sort of a long scaffold-y central portion, with a larger portion again at the front with the main living module.

Bruce

My main reason for using the windows is that I just recently sorted a couple of Chambers of Secrets that I got on clearance at KB recently. In fact that ship is mostly parts from Harry Potter sets. I agree that the cockpit is pretty weak on that ship, I got really excited with the idea for the wing structure, and then just sort of slapped something on the front that matched, I wish i could at least have worked some tan accents into it.

The large ship in progress is actually more like the Russian ship from 2010, or one of the Earthforce ships on Babylon 5. You can see the technic turntable in one of the pictures that will connect to a large rotating section that will in turn connect via another turntable to the bridge/docking bay. The rear section has labs and a hydroponics bay, and is pretty much impossibly to reach the insides of. A scafoldy structure does seem like it could be pretty cool, though quite difficult to hold together.

Thanks for you comments, I appreciate it.

-Dan Rubin Chair of the cyber-braintrust