 Space / 31499
Re: Not another sheep!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 05:05:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Daniel Rubin wrote: Snip snip
   Excellent Ley! I am actually mostly impressed that you keep finding the time to photograph all this stuff! ;) Keep up the research.

-Dan Rubin

Hi Dan,

Well, as my wife says, we all have the same twenty-four hours in a day. How we spend it, is the key. And, yes, your mileage may vary.

Actually, the time to photograph is the least of my concerns; I have a camera handy most of the time for various reasons. Often, my shots are rather fast and dirty; I haven’t had the time to set up some good dioramas yet, so you see a variety of plain surfaces and simple lighting in what I’ve done so far. That single halogen spot contrasts with the ambient light in a way that I think works for the small scale pieces, but larger scale work does suffer. (Case in point: Solara Hovercar) When possible I shoot in the kitchen with natural light from 3 directions and a nice large stainless steel surface which sets off most models quite well. Someday I’ll set up something more appropriate to the models à la Paul Baulch’s latest. Ah...someday...

This all leads me to think of the filtering process which occurs in my world. (Please keep in mind that this is observation after the fact, not evidence of an organised process.)

First there’s the Imagined MOCs; the ones that keep popping up in my mind and in little studies of a few pieces that may amount to something someday. Second are the things which actually get built: a very small subset of the first group. (Incidentally, building something doen’t make the first group smaller; it often leads to further inspiration...you may recognize this too.) When these get finished they join others of their sort, sometimes waiting for companion pieces, sometimes waiting for the camera.

This leads to the third group; that which actually gets photographed. When conditions are right or impatience overflows, pictures happen. These pictured MOCs may wait for the story/back story/gag/cool name/concept to go with them. The story may come along later or it may drive the process from conception. It all depends...(the Pith Infiltrator went to the top of my pile of nanoscale designs when it’s name burst into my mind; it was a ROTFLMAO moment I just had to share)

Then, I choose, crop, fix, and/or manipulate the images as need be. No excess background etc. Unless I slip up, (and it has happened ;o ) all my pictures get downsampled. I choose an appropriate size depending on the detail and then batch process them. I can work quite fast.

Then it’s upload time and story time.

It is the nature of the process to have some ideas languish and others to come barelling through. I have an unfinished castle I started over 20 years ago (yes 20! OMG and yes, ‘have’ - I can see it from where I sit) and the psychedelic sheepnork took less than an hour from the ‘lightbulb’ moment to the upload.

That final filter comes into play; what I think might be entertaining/interesting (and YMMV) and that’s entertainment, and that’s how I chose to spend my time. And, this disertation is part of how I chose to spend this evening. I hope you found it interesting or even entertaining, and if not, there are plenty of other threads and inspiring MOCs out there.

Peace and play well,

Professor Whateverly

hey, this picture is a link too...