 Space / 30499
Re: 3 ideas I had
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:17:25 GMT

In lugnet.space, Jonathan Wilson wrote:
Firstly is a Siege Engine thingo that I saw on a bugs bunny (I think)
cartoon. Basicly, its a giant thing with 3 axes on it in a circle thing, as
it moves along the axes spin around.

Three might be tricky to pull off.  There are only three pieces that I can think
of that allow you to attach things at exactly 120 degree intervals, and one of
them is a fairly new TECHNIC tri-beam that only comes in two sets.

This is probably the most useful of the three, since it would allow you to
attach paired clip plates/tiles to firmly attach the axes, and a grey version
has been produced for the World City police helicopter:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/32125

My second choice would probably be this one, which does allow you to attach clip
plates/tiles, but only one to each blade:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/2712

Finally, if you don't mind having to get highly creative about how you attach
the axes, you can go with the full-out TECHNIC liftarm, but it only comes in
silver:

http://www.peeron.com/inv/parts/44374

Secondly is a lamp I came up with. Grab one of the 4-pronged parts like
e.g. on the top of a palm tree or the front of the mini anakins pod-racer.
Then stick a 1 x 1 round brick (trans-yellow looks good but other trans
colors might work depending on the effect) and you have a light. Or use it
for something else like a gun or tool :)

Sorry to burst your bubble here, but stick a 2x2 round plate on the top of that,
and you've got a fairly standard official design.  You can see one mounted to
the stern of this ship (got one for $10 to put in my fishtank!):

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6250_1&v=z

You can also see a pair on the stern of this ship:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6285_1&v=z

...and a pair of blue ones on the stern of this one:

http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=6286_1&v=z

I don't know how much use they got outside of the Pirates line, but I wouldn't
be surprised if there were a couple of Castle sets that used them as well.

The third idea is a good use for the 1x1 with studs on sides. Get some 1 x
1 with studs on sides and some of the little gems. Then join the 1 x 1 with
studs on sides together and stick the gems into the exposed studs. Looks
great for e.g. a power source or a display thingo for the gems.

I actually did this about a month ago (no photos yet), but for a very different
purpose on a nearly-completed Moonbase module (er, um...living quarters,
actually).  If you make a 2-high, and turn the bottom tier 45 degrees (so the
gems are alternating top/bottom as you go around it), it will just barely fit
inside a boulder.  There's even enough room to stick a 1x1 round or square
plate, or a 2x2 radar dish on top.