 Space / 30035
30034  |  30036
Subject:
Eastern Block L.E.G. -Reenvisioned MOC-
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:42:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

This update topic is over a month in the making, and I’m quite pleased to finally be posting it.

Link to post-moderated gallery

I, as a builder, was pretty dissatisfied with the moc (original “Eastern Block Small Transport” thread) I presented at the end of November. As critics, you guys provided me with some valuable suggestions and advice.

I took that creation apart piece by piece and recreated it to address several criticisms:

-The black “Star Wars shooters.” A couple of spacers and reviewers expressed dislike for these glaringly obvious pieces of weaponry. And what use does a small shuttle have for huge blasters? None.

-Presence of black in the color scheme. Specific credit goes to Bram for this one. He suggested to increase the amount of black or get rid of it. I chose to get rid of it. For the better or worse, you decide.

-General lack of fine detail/greebling. This one is more my observation than anything else. The model just looked and felt too smooth to me.

-Change of shape from midsection of craft to cockpit portion. JHK noted that the change was quite abrupt, and were the shooters removed it would be even worse.

-Lack of landing gear. Paul Baulch and others outside the forum pointed out the absence.

-Lack of genuine purpose. This was the most glaring to me, and was hinted at by other builders. A small shuttle with uber shielding? And FOUR huge blasters? One pilot? No chairs for transportees?

The new purpose of the ship is to serve as a light escort gunship for small Eastern Block caravans. Larger shuttles like Lenny’s and Rick’s are the main units I envision these ships protecting. These ships also serve well in battle alongside much larger capital ship units in Eastern Block fleets.

The armament of the L.E.G. includes 4 advanced FRAP blasters, controlled by two gunners on either sides of the craft. All four arrays have nearly 90 degrees of firing angles. Ship also features a ridiculously large FADOOM cannon that is largely immobile, and therefore requires only minimal control (by the pilot.) The FADOOM laser is powered by a synthetic copy of the crystal atop Dr. Terrible’s staff, stolen and later replaced by an EB espionage squad.

The ship still boasts highly dense armor plating and fine shielding, and of course the CAHELM (castle-helmet) engines still boost the ship along its way.

One note of apology for the decrease in quality of these pictures from photos of my previous MOCs. I’ve gotten a new digital camera (and no longer have access to the old one), and it’s not the greatest, but it’ll suffice.

--Ryan